Why become a member? ×

problem with my bass

seb

hey guys...i have a minor problem(hope so) i just bought a bass and it doesnt have straplocks, or how are they called, it doesnt look like its broken but i cant get the mechanism, i had many basses before but honestly ive never paid attention to strap locks, i ve uploaded a photo but the quality is bad, it s because ive got a s#$%%y camera and because i dont know how to make a good picture, it would be very nice if you could help me. cheers

Edited by seb

Really hard to tell from that picture but looks like you might have actual strap locks rather than regular strap buttons. Some of them are recessed into the body like this [url="http://www3.alembic.com/img/uni_lock.jpg"]http://www3.alembic.com/img/uni_lock.jpg[/url]

If so you need to know what make it is to get the appropriate bit for the strap which then locks into the hole, or replace with regular strap buttons. If not, then ignore my post!

PS this should really go into the 'repairs and technical issues' forum

[quote name='seb' post='1251011' date='May 31 2011, 01:18 AM']yeah, same as in the picture...so if it is like that i just need to buy a strap button and thats it>[/quote]

Fitting a regular strap button instead of this will involve unscrewing this one, taking it out, then filling the hole with toothpicks and woodglue or (better) a piece of dowel. If you want to keep the locking strap you need the right kind of button for whatever make it is - Dunlop make them, maybe Schaller as well?

ok,cheers this was really helpful...but still why are they made like that, is it something missing, or do you think it s half of what it was before>

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1250999' date='May 31 2011, 12:53 AM']Letting us know the make/model will help. For example some manufacturers use recessed strap locks (I think Warwick did for a while).[/quote]

Sssss a Dunlop innit?

edited for not being very helpful.

You need these;

You do not, however, need the strap buttons included in the set. The Straplocks go on the strap, and lock directly into the metal inserts in the bass. DO check that the screws securing the inserts are properly tightened. DO NOT overtighten them as you may crack the wood, causing the insert to come out and your bass to crash to the floor. Also ensure there are no existing cracks around the inserts.
I've had no trouble with this design, even on my stupidly heavy Streamer LX6 (>14lbs), so if all is well, then there shouldn't be any reliability issues.

Is that a Corvette in Nirvana Black that you have? I think Warwick changed to "normal" strap buttons around 2000, although I've seen all 3 types on Warwicks (Schaller, Dunlop and Normal) over the years. IIRC, the earlier models have Schallers..

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='matej4444' post='1251172' date='May 31 2011, 10:25 AM']warwick uses schaller straplocks. you can find them on thomann.de original made for warwick[/quote]
No they don't.

Warwick use Warwick Security Locks. The nearest to them is the Dunlop system

What you have is the old style Warwick recessed straplocks, there is nothing I'm aware of currently on the market. You may be able to get hold of them somewhere.

Contact Warwick in the first instance about your options, they are very helpful.

[url="http://warwick.de/modules/support/request.php?katID=14549&cl=EN"]http://warwick.de/modules/support/request....14549&cl=EN[/url]

[quote name='silddx' post='1251677' date='May 31 2011, 04:03 PM']No they don't.

Warwick use Warwick Security Locks. The nearest to them is the Dunlop system

What you have is the old style Warwick recessed straplocks, there is nothing I'm aware of currently on the market. You may be able to get hold of them somewhere.[/quote]

Yes and no.

New Warwicks use Warwick Security locks, but the flush-mounted "buttons" that Warwick used were Dunlops. So you need to buy the Dunlops that Lfalex v1.1 recommended. (That's what I did for my '94 Streamer).

The very earliest Warwicks had Schallers, then they used these Dunlop recessed ones for a while, and the more recent ones have Warwick straplocks. The Warwick ones are like Dunlop but not quite the same size (so a Dunlop-fitted strap will go in a Warwick-fitted bass, but not as secure as you'd like, and a Warwick-fitted strap simply won't work with a Dunlop-fitted bass).

Edited by mart