Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nordstrand VJ5

birdy

Here is my new to me Nordy VJ5 which I recently got from Flanker in a trade. The first 5 string that I have felt confident enough to gig with, what a neck. This is the reason for my clear out in the for sale thread. I will shortly be ordering another one, check them out at bassdirect!

[attachment=5782:20022008269.jpg][attachment=5783:20022008270.jpg][attachment=5784:20022008271.jpg][
attachment=5785:20022008272.jpg][attachment=5786:20022008275.jpg][attachment=5787:20022008273.jpg]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='143779' date='Feb 20 2008, 04:02 PM']I've played this bass - it's a stunner.

Envious of Preston. :blush:[/quote]

I think we have been in a similar boat for a while dabbling with fivers and not finding one that suits. I happened to play one over at Marks (bassdirect) and thought wow, I wonder if the necks are like this on all of them and that was that. I think once you get to a certain level of bass its not about anything being better its about personal preference as to what suits you better but you could do worse than get one on order :-)

Steve

Thanks Guys, The new price varies from around £1500 upwards depending on options etc. There is a full price list on Marks website detailing what you can get. The 4 strings are cheaper than 5's etc. Considering they are in the same league as Sadowsky, Roscoe, F Bass etc etc they seem pretty good value.

Flanker has the Roscoe, an F Bass, a jazz and a precision but I think there could be more suprises in store ;-)
His F Bass is a real beauty.

I think I am as bad as he is when it comes to swapping basses. As you have seen I am having a clear out and am on the verge of ordering another Nordy 5 from Mark possibly with swappable pickups so I can switch between P/J and J/J with relative ease.

The other great thing about these basses is the customer service. Even though I bought this bass from Flanker making it second hand I contacted Mark with some queries about pick up combinations and Nordstrand have sent us a set of pick ups FREE OF CHARGE as I had an earlier model and they had made some improvements! I was amazed by this as they are not cheap.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='144234' date='Feb 21 2008, 09:58 AM']Thanks Guys, The new price varies from around £1500 upwards depending on options etc. There is a full price list on Marks website detailing what you can get. The 4 strings are cheaper than 5's etc. Considering they are in the same league as Sadowsky, Roscoe, F Bass etc etc they seem pretty good value.

Flanker has the Roscoe, an F Bass, a jazz and a precision but I think there could be more suprises in store ;-)
His F Bass is a real beauty.

I think I am as bad as he is when it comes to swapping basses. As you have seen I am having a clear out and am on the verge of ordering another Nordy 5 from Mark possibly with swappable pickups so I can switch between P/J and J/J with relative ease.

The other great thing about these basses is the customer service. Even though I bought this bass from Flanker making it second hand I contacted Mark with some queries about pick up combinations and Nordstrand have sent us a set of pick ups FREE OF CHARGE as I had an earlier model and they had made some improvements! I was amazed by this as they are not cheap.

Steve[/quote]

Just to confirm that Nordstrand offered to replace the pickups in this bass as this is a very early model, serial number 4 in fact, and was made in early 2007. They have subsequently altered the winding on the NJ5S pickups, which feature on this bass, and as there seemed to be some very small issues with the pickups regarding earthing they offered to swop them out and the replacement NJ5S pickups did the trick.

As Steve has said - these are in the same quality bracket as Sadowsky NYC/Avella Copella/Celinder etc but at a far more affordable price. There will be a price increase this year but IMO they still offer great value for a totally hand made USA bass.

Regards

Mark