Why become a member? ×

slap..haven,t a clue

Ive always wanted to learn slap but i havent a clue where to start. It looks so hard, is it? Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I dont feel like i can call myself a bass player untill ive got some grounding in this particular discipline.

The basic technique isn't that hard-it's just a case of hitting the string with your thumb near to the edge of the fingerboard. Where it gets hard is when you start playing around with different rhythmic combinations.

Check out Ed Friedland's 'Slap Bass' DVD.

I read somewhere a quote which basically said that 'slapping is easy, but slapping well is hard'.

I'm confused as to why you feel that you can't call yourself a bassist unless you have some knowledge of slap theory? It simply means you're not a funk or jazz bassist. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't learn it, by all means do so if that's what you want, just don't assume that it's necessary in order to call yourself a bassist.

Goo luck with your learning.

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1246251' date='May 26 2011, 09:11 PM']I dont feel like i can call myself a bass player untill ive got some grounding in this particular discipline.[/quote]
Good news, it's not he 80's :)

[quote name='ZMech' post='1248181' date='May 28 2011, 12:56 PM']Good news, it's not he 80's :)[/quote]
ha ha its not the 80's (although i have a secret guilty pleasure about mark king, but shhh dont tell the lads in the band!) Ive just taken delivery of ash's fab 83 JV squire P/J hybrid and have to say thats made quite a difference in my early learning curve, it slaps well good! Im sorry but i didnt mean all bass players should have to be able to slap to call themselves bass players - of course not! Its just a personal bug bear of mine that i dont feel I can call myself a bass player untill I can do something on the bass that my guitarist cant! :)

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1248469' date='May 28 2011, 05:45 PM']Its just a personal bug bear of mine that i dont feel I can call myself a bass player untill I can do something on the bass that my guitarist cant! :)[/quote]
Are you able to play in time?

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1248469' date='May 28 2011, 05:45 PM']Its just a personal bug bear of mine that i dont feel I can call myself a bass player untill I can do something on the bass that my guitarist cant! :)[/quote]
Read music? :)

[quote name='FayeAutumn' post='1248148' date='May 28 2011, 12:33 PM']It simply means you're not a funk or jazz bassist.[/quote]

Plenty of great funk and jazz has fingerstyle basslines.

I play some slap, it's not hard. Just make a thumbs up gesture with your right hand, then move your index finger as though you're holding a trigger. Now move your hand so your thumb's parallel with the string you're playing a root on, then whip your thumb against the string near the end of the fretboard. For the octave, just move your index under the string with the octave on and pull it away from the fretboard.

You just have to work out the timing which shouldn't take long then you have the basic of slap and pop. Of course there's harder techniques like double thumbing (my thumbs are too big and I find it hard without huge string spacing so I've never bothered doing it properly) and arpeggios etc, but the simple root octave is the best place to start. After that it's just a case of moving the notes around and getting used to hammer ons etc.

You will have to become one of the funky people its nothing to be ashamed of,avoid the 70s and get straight into 80s rare groove and pop. Best slap education you can have. Slaps a bit like drumming just remember think drums not guitar.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1248640' date='May 28 2011, 08:56 PM']hmm, maybe too suttle a joke. Either that or you've got a better guitarist than me![/quote]

Doh..just go it! :) - fantastic! Actually just found out he can slap better than me too........... :)
a bit like that old ringo starr best drummer in the world quip from john lennon!