Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Swapping spike

2wheeler

I am new to double bass and I have just received a very nice long spike from my gran for my birthday. This should bring my double bass up where I need it. However, the old spike won't come out of the bass. Before I shove it in and try to get it out of an F-hole, is there a better way. I don't want to fail and end up with the old spike rattling around in the bass. Will the old spike (tangs) fit through the F-hole? Or do I need to take the bass to a professional to get the swap. The new spike does not have tangs, by the way.

When I come to swap back (I plan on keeping the spike for my whole life, the days are numbered on my cheapo double bass), I plan to pass a thread with a weight on it through the hole at the bottom, get that out through an F hole and then use the thread to pull the old spike back into place. Is that sensible or will it require more major surgery?

Many thanks in advance.

Bilbo has a point - won't be an expensive job...

On the other hand, you really shouldn't have too much trouble getting it out through the f hole (i believe that's how a luthier would do it) - so i'd say give it a go (perhaps with someone to help and a pair of long nosed pliers) - if it all goes tit's up you can always go to a luthier then, but i really can't see a problem.

As for putting it back - that's a different story - but same result. Have a go by all means, but i doubt you'll have any luck. A luthier would take the wooden block that holds the spike off and sort it that way, but there are issues with sound posts falling over etc... still not an expensive job though.

Good luck!
Daf

[quote name='daflewis' post='1244546' date='May 25 2011, 05:39 PM']I assume that you're sure that the diameter of the old and new end pin are the same? otherwise you'll need a new block...[/quote]

Yes. I guess it is pure fluke but they happen to be the same.

Lay the bass on it's back on a bed. Loosen the strings enough to unhook the tailpiece from the spike holder. Take the spike holder out. Withdraw spike. Put everything back together with new spike in.

WARNING. When the strings are not tight the sounpost might collapse if you move the instrument around. It SHOULD be ok, but it is at your own risk.

[quote name='owen' post='1245445' date='May 26 2011, 12:14 PM']WARNING. When the strings are not tight the sounpost might collapse if you move the instrument around. It SHOULD be ok, but it is at your own risk.[/quote]

I put a few heavy books on the table over the soundpost so there is preasure on it and lessens the chance of it falling.

It took me about 60 seconds with the help of my wife. I held the bass up with the F holes down. She pushed the spike firmly into the bass (it landed pretty gently) and it rolled down to the F hole, where she pulled it out.

Unfortunately she then left in tears because she thought that every time I said "F hole" I was swearing and that I must be furious with her :)

Still, we can laugh about it now.

The bass is transformed now that I have a long enough spike.