Why become a member? ×

SOLD Musicman Stingray SUB 5

jojobass

This bass previously belonged to Walman and Silverfoxnik- see his original [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4471&hl=musicman+SUB"]thread[/url]. It's been much improved looks- and sound-wise, having been stripped and had a new black scratchplate added for a vintage Stingray look, and a customised John East 3-band eq circuit, giving it loads of versatility. It is a great bass, well balanced, comfortable and great sounding... currently at the Gallery in Camden, let me know if you're interested!

Edited by jojobass

[quote name='WalMan' post='149283' date='Mar 1 2008, 01:57 AM']Jo

Have a weekend for my old bass.

It is a nice bass with a good range of tones from the East preamp, and was part of the Beedster stable before Nik

Al[/quote]
Most things for sale here have been part of the Beedster stable at one time or another! :)

Just to say it's a very good sounding Musicman bass, greatly improved by the John East pre..And the low B is superb! better than the Roscoe Beck 5 I have now (and they're both 34" scale necks).. I only sold it because I wanted a passive 5 string, which the Roscoe Beck is.

Still looks as cool as f*** to me in the pictures (and it's nice to see my garden when there was some sunshine around!)

Anyway, BUMP again for this fine bass and good luck with the sale!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='149391' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:31 PM']Most things for sale here have been part of the Beedster stable at one time or another! :)[/quote]

Only true of the good'uns Nik.
Some back info on this bass: I had a 1988 SR4 and a 1994 SR4 Fretless. I was playing in a Chilis cover band and needed a 5 string for a few songs so I bought a 1989 SR5. Strangely enough however, the SR5 sounded NOTHING like either of the two 4s, which pissed me off big time. I read up on the SUBs and found out that their preamp had more in common with the SR4 than the SR5 so bought this one. The playability was spot on but the highs were way too brittle so I popped in to see John East who very kindly fitted the most lovely sounding SR style pre-amp. To cut a long sorty short, this is a true SR5, that is, it sounds like an SR4 but with 5 strings. I sold it because I didn't need five strings any more. On many occasions I wish i'd kept it
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='195775' date='May 10 2008, 12:05 AM']Only true of the good'uns Nik.

To cut a long sorty short, this is a true SR5, that is, it sounds like an SR4 but with 5 strings. I sold it because I didn't need five strings any more. On many occasions I wish i'd kept it
Chris[/quote]
Very true Chris - you have impeccable taste! And I agree with you that this Sub 5 is very similar to the sound of an SR4..

• 3 months later...