Why become a member? ×

fingerboard oil

Al Heeley

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1245481' date='May 26 2011, 12:38 PM']I've read that the rags used with boiled linseed oil have a tendency to spontaneously combust before the oil on them dries. Some kind of chemical reaction.

In all honesty, I don't know how true that is, but I've always been really nervous about using it since then.[/quote]
Teak Oil will, but in the right conditions, like sticking the rags in a small bin with the lid closed CAN do it. It's rare but I saw it happen when I was at school, oh how we laughed.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1247949' date='May 28 2011, 09:55 AM']Sorry, being old & probably un-hip(! - that phrase dates me!) that reference has completely passed me by.

G.[/quote]

:) Frank can tell you all you need to know Geoff
[url="http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=198"]http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=198[/url]

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1252299' date='Jun 1 2011, 02:39 AM']crazy bitch. get yousen some almond oil from the chemist. orange or lemon oil too. in fact just about any natural oil will suffice. olive oil anyone?[/quote]

I already mentioned Olive Oil (Post #16), I was told to use that by Chris Eccleshall, on an Ibanez Rg570 that had been in a house fire, the fretboard was swallowing Dunlop fingerboard oil and still remained streaked with white marks, one application of Olive oil and the board was perfect :)

When I was looking for what sort of oil to use on wood when refinishing my bass I found quite a few articles advising not to use olive oil as it will rot the wood eventually (something about it not being a preserving oil) & also not to use neat food oils such as lemon oil on fretboards.
I can't say whether or not they are right tho, so decided to go with Danish oil.

I rubbed my fretboard back & gave it a couple of coats of Danish oil. Has a dull sheen to it which I like.

Edited by xgsjx

it won't rot the wood but it is free of preservatives so will go rancid in time if there's too much soaked in there.
Danish is great for oil-finishing a body - it will discolour a maple board but should be fine on rosewood or ebony. I;m guessing my old magic can was that or boiled linseed.

I'm still using my Dr Duck's which is lasting forever. I use a lot of Danish oil on my joinery and would use it on a wood body but not the fretboard, its got a lot of tung oil in but I think at least some brands contain alkyd resins which I'm not happy with putting on my neck. I just bought a 500ml bottle of lemon oil from TK Max of all places (for a fiver) so that should do me for the next thirty years or so.