Why become a member? ×

Marshall JCM 800 bass or something else?

phoenix555

Yoo,

I'm probably getting a new amp soon, and I was looking into the Marshall JCM 800 bass series to buy.
Anyone who own or have own it can tell me their experience with the amp?
And what kind of cab do you guys suggest to use to get the full potential of the marshall? (1x15, 4x10 hartke hycones etc etc)
I usually play metal/hardrock-ish so what do you guys recommend with a budget of around 500 euros?

Thanks guys!

~ Phoenix

yes yes

i have one- with the matching 4x10B cab. it is immense and i'm always amazed at the range of styles that it can pull off. it's a great sounding amp for sure but as with all old valve amps- it's not light, and the controls are pretty basic.

and it's also worth mentioning that there will be- obviously depending on your exact setup- surplus headroom most of the time. i'm currently eying up a hot plate to allow me to really use the valves.

is the 500 euros a budget for a cab or for the whole rig?

[quote name='lucky' post='1239855' date='May 22 2011, 01:19 AM']yes yes

i have one- with the matching 4x10B cab. it is immense and i'm always amazed at the range of styles that it can pull off. it's a great sounding amp for sure but as with all old valve amps- it's not light, and the controls are pretty basic.

and it's also worth mentioning that there will be- obviously depending on your exact setup- surplus headroom most of the time. i'm currently eying up a hot plate to allow me to really use the valves.

is the 500 euros a budget for a cab or for the whole rig?[/quote]
Ah thanks!
My main priority is the head, which I've reserved 500 euros (around 435 pounds)
The cab will be a bought at a later time but I already wanting to research it.
And how about the gain/drive when u crack the volume up and the drive/gain at a low volume (i.e. for in house)

Edited by phoenix555

What's your main bass? I have a Marshall VBC 412, bought off a guy on here, and I love it. I am playing an old trace elliot through it though, with 12 band eq, so i have the ultimate of tonal control - for me I need this. I would recommend the 412 cab to anyone, the sound is unrivalled in any other half stack set up, though I would say, if you plan on carrying it around a lot, don't get it, mine is 49kg!

Never had an 800 bass amp, and I'm not entirely sure how similar they are but my 800 guitar amp is a double edged sword. It sounds fantastic, but the PCB bends as it gets hot and over the years a crack developed and it's very difficult to fix. Marshall at the time weren't splashing out on top quality components either so I've blown capacitors etc. They are now "vintage" but they weren't considered in the same league as earlier models even at the time. I gave up repairing mine all the time and just bought a newer one. I'd ask whoever sells you theirs to let you rag it for the length of time of gig at least and see how it holds up.

[quote name='scalpy' post='1239955' date='May 22 2011, 09:01 AM']Never had an 800 bass amp, and I'm not entirely sure how similar they are but my 800 guitar amp is a double edged sword. It sounds fantastic, but the PCB bends as it gets hot and over the years a crack developed and it's very difficult to fix. Marshall at the time weren't splashing out on top quality components either so I've blown capacitors etc. They are now "vintage" but they weren't considered in the same league as earlier models even at the time. I gave up repairing mine all the time and just bought a newer one. I'd ask whoever sells you theirs to let you rag it for the length of time of gig at least and see how it holds up.[/quote]
Damn, thats a shame! Is this a known problem of the marshall?
I don't think its going to be a 4x12 because my room is on the 3rd floor of my house... probably going to trade my Peavey 115 with black widow in for a 4x10 peavey or something.
And I currently use a mm stingray.
Thanks for the help so far!

Edited by phoenix555

[quote name='phoenix555' post='1239877' date='May 22 2011, 12:58 AM']Ah thanks!
My main priority is the head, which I've reserved 500 euros (around 435 pounds)
The cab will be a bought at a later time but I already wanting to research it.
And how about the gain/drive when u crack the volume up and the drive/gain at a low volume (i.e. for in house)[/quote]

for me the head is great but to each there own.
it's also worth saying that most bass cabs are of 4x10 dimensions, but as its an old JCM the width is that of a 4x12 cab- so the head will be wider than the cab so dont go too skinny with what you put under it.

to be honest i've never had the chance to use explore it properly by myself at the highest volume/gain due to the sheer noise it can make, hence the wanting a hotplate and if you're living on the 3rd floor then the neighbours/whoever's below you won't appreciate the volumes you'll need to get the pure valve drive. i never took mine to my little student apartments because of the size/weight/volume/value. maybe something hybrid would serve you better so you can crank the valves at lower volumes (and lower weight!) BUT i would still whole heartedly recommend it- it's not the most practical but the sound makes it worth it.