Why become a member? ×

yamaha john myung sig (1st edition) any good?

ziggydolphinboy

I think Lorne or Truckstop will be along soon! They both have owned them.

Great basses, not had long to play one though felt good and sounded good! (John Myung and I have similar taste in necks, flatter ones with 17mm string spacing which is my prefered!)

But i AM a biased Dream Theater fan :)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

That inlay at the 12th is yummy. Fine looking things. Only seen two used, one by JM himself, and one in a technical death metal band by and incredibly gifted player. Sounded great on both occasions, would love to try/have one myself though.

Yeah, I still have mine

BOTH of them LOL

OK, They're VERY heavy, so if you've got a bad back (Like me), Suffer

The frets are pretty thin, necks are wide, but thin

Can sound quite deep or piano high, depending on your settings,very well controled B string, doesn't flop around like some can

Things to watch out for, dodgy jack sockets, both of mine have at some point been replaced, one with an original socket, and someone else put a locking socket on the other.Also, the finish on the back of the neck is too thin, wears out, quite badly on some I've seen.Great battery access, but keep an eye on the battery cover, I've seen quite a few basses, missing the cover.

My red one has a full flight case, and until Tuesday, my Turqoiue one had no case, but I scored an ABS Kinsman case from the local Gumtree for £35 which fits it perfectly :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1238889' date='May 21 2011, 01:11 AM']you have two? o.O
Very nice.[/quote]

Yeah, I seem to get two of everything

2 Yamaha 6JM's
2 BCR Widows
2 BCR Bich 8's
2 BCR Mockingbirds
2 daughters
2 sons
2 cats

:)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1238900' date='May 21 2011, 01:39 AM']Yeah, I seem to get two of everything

2 Yamaha 6JM's
2 BCR Widows
2 BCR Bich 8's
2 BCR Mockingbirds
2 daughters
2 sons
2 cats

:)[/quote]

Now emigrate to Dubai and get yourself a second wife! ;-)

Those JMs are lovely, that inlay is so very nice, and I'm always frustrated when I come to play DT stuff and all I have is a 5 string :)
What do you think of this: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140548637791&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_502wt_1139"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_502wt_1139[/url] being on the theme of BCR's

[quote name='dc2009' post='1238912' date='May 21 2011, 02:14 AM']What do you think of this: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140548637791&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_502wt_1139"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_502wt_1139[/url] being on the theme of BCR's[/quote]

I hate it, gimmiky paint and inlays, matt paint, bolt on, Widow headstock on something that isn't a Widow

Get an NJ Deluxe series with a pointed headstock, gloss black paint (No red swirl) normal inlays and Abalone binding around the body and neck, neck thru too :)

They are the wick! Honestly, I am so disappointed in myself for selling mine.
As 6 stringers go, they are quite easy to get to grips with, but yeah very heavy. I used to think they sounded a bit thin (when I was practising with it at home), but for some reason, when it's cranked and going through a PA, it sounded incredible. So articulate. Cuts through like no-ones business!

If you got the chance to get one, grab it!

Truckstop

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1239320' date='May 21 2011, 02:05 PM']The first generation ones were much better than the lazy second generation effort.[/quote]

I really liked the JM2s they sounded monsterous too!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1239340' date='May 21 2011, 02:21 PM']What idiot thought that was a good idea :s[/quote]

Also i like 13th fret inlays. Its 12th/13th fret which i think is a good idea (imho! as it then marks th 12th fret, the octave of the open string and the next fret going up in 2s (I also love 1st fret inlays!)