Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to Tascam Bass Trainer?

Jamesemt

Hi guys, my MP-BT1 has broken for the second time in 6 weeks. I have developed a bit of a practice routine with it, so don't want to be without something similar.

Can someone recommend software for home, and anything similar to the Tascam for taking to work?

Oh and I will never buy a Tascam product again :)

Edited by Jamesemt

Ive just got a Pandora PX4D for bedroom practice. £89 from DV or GAK. I normally use my PC with either Guitar rig or IK Ampeg software but as im trying to learn slap im making a bit of a fool of myself while the girlfriend is trying to watch CSI so ive been relegated to the bedroom.
the Pandora lets you feed another source like a ipod or CD player and you can change the pitch on the fly.
It will also remove the bass lines but it seems to take out a lot of the bottom end of everything else as well. I have used it though and its handy for learning songs etc.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='142445' date='Feb 18 2008, 01:33 PM']Cheers guys - is there anything which does an effective job of removing the bass and not the drums?[/quote]

Hi James

My amp has a CD input (two sockets), I just pull out the bass side and lose the bass, and can hear everything else, then I can play the bass line to it.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='142498' date='Feb 18 2008, 03:11 PM']Hi James

My amp has a CD input (two sockets), I just pull out the bass side and lose the bass, and can hear everything else, then I can play the bass line to it.

Steve[/quote]

I thought the inputs would be left and right?

Is there anything similar to the guitar port for bassists?

[quote name='dabootsy' post='142736' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:54 PM']i have a roland micro br which is a 4 track digital recorder with 32 virtual track, an mp3 player that can slow and speed up tacks, it has a built in drum machine and onboard effects. One of the best buys i have ever made[/quote]

+1

I've yet to use my Micro BR as a multitrack - I haven't got past how good it is as a practice device.

You can load up mp3 or wav files to it or record your own off any analogue source. It has an adjustable centre cancel function to lose the vocals and because this tends to lose the bass too, there's a bass boost to bring the bass back again. The only thing it lacks is perhaps the ability to shift pitch, for example where a song is in Eb and I need to learn it in E to avoid having to detune, but this isn't a major problem. I've used it for a few months for learning new songs for the bands I'm in and it does most of what I want.

BTW, it eats alkaline batteries so I use 2500Mah NiMh rechargeables which seem to last quite well. There is an AC adaptor available, but that defeats the object of the Micro BR being so portable.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='142441' date='Feb 18 2008, 01:31 PM']There's a few others, including The Amazing Slow Downer, which despite it's rubbish name is a great piece of software...

[url="http://www.ronimusic.com/"]http://www.ronimusic.com/[/url]

You can also do all the pitch correction, slowing down and looping in Audacity.[/quote]

+1 on this I have the mac version and its fantastic. Plug the bass into Garageband, fire this up, load an itunes playlist and off you go. You can lessen the bass by lowering the EQ which I think is effectively all that the tascam and others do.

If you really want to remove bass completely I guess you could download some midi versions of the songs possibly but havent tried this myself. I like to set the EQ so that I can just hear the original bassline in conjunction with mine to keep me in check.

Steve

You can slow down tracks in Windows Media player so you dont really even need to download any software just to do the basic things.

Personally i use IK Multimedia's AmpegSVX software on my Pc most of the time. You can also load in mp3's and slow them down and loop them etc.
Of course, its not free but its a very nice app. great for recording as well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='145954' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:15 PM']You can slow down tracks in Windows Media player so you dont really even need to download any software just to do the basic things.

Personally i use IK Multimedia's AmpegSVX software on my Pc most of the time. You can also load in mp3's and slow them down and loop them etc.
Of course, its not free but its a very nice app. great for recording as well.[/quote]

Cheers - just seen the price ofthe Ampeg software...think i'll have to have a think on that one :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='142721' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:33 PM']I thought the inputs would be left and right?

Is there anything similar to the guitar port for bassists?[/quote]

The two leads would be left and right, but as it comes back through one speaker on the amp it removes the bass and leaves everything else. Works a treat.