Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN Custom '51 Fender Precision-style 5-string Barts/Aguilar

lowregisterhead

For sale, a bit of an oddity... a custom made 5-string in the style of a '51 Precision. 35" scale, twin Bartolini soapbars, and a Aguilar 18v 2-band preamp. Being a fan of the early P/Tele bass look, a thing of rare beauty, IMHO. When I play it, it makes me feel like I'm Tony Reeves. All I know about its origins is it was made by a chap called Gus who lives somewhere down in Kent, has made many basses over the years in his workshop as something of a hobby I understand, and did a damn fine job with this. I bought it several years ago, and it originally sported one single coil pickup, but when that expired unexpectedly, I got Martin Petersen of Sei fame to fit the two Barts and preamp.

It weighs in at a shade over 10lbs, but balances well and consequently feels light on the shoulder. Excellent condition throughout, except for a chip in the finish on the back of the headstock, shown in the photos. Final price drop to an insane £500 (was £650) (was £750), and I'll throw in a heavy duty Ritter gig bag with it.

Only on here 'til the weekend, then it's off to eBay... :)

Dave

Video now uploaded of me noodling aimlessly, but you can hear what it sounds like! Recorded straight into an Apogee Duet, flat eq. - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRLYih5G7Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRLYih5G7Y[/url]

NOW WITHDRAWN FROM SALE - SOLD ELSEWHERE

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='aido43' post='1235487' date='May 18 2011, 11:53 AM']Cant say Ive ever seen anything like that before--love Tele style and five strings--lovely finish.Sorely tempted--any interest in a Status Energy 5 string as a swap?[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, and it is tempting, but my Empathy might get jealous!

[quote name='aido43' post='1236731' date='May 19 2011, 10:38 AM']Any idea of the make or builders details-apart from Bartolinis what are the neck/body details?[/quote]

'Fraid not, what little I know that I put in the preamble at the top. All I was told when I bought it was that it was fashioned and/or assembled by the aforementioned Gus... I've never had occasion to try and trace him, but I can certainly make some inquiries...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='1236930' date='May 19 2011, 02:06 PM']'Fraid not, what little I know that I put in the preamble at the top. All I was told when I bought it was that it was fashioned and/or assembled by the aforementioned Gus... I've never had occasion to try and trace him, but I can certainly make some inquiries...[/quote]

I know someone who knows someone who knew him...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='1241229' date='May 23 2011, 09:28 AM']YouTube video reaches 25 views celebration bump... any takers though??[/quote]
At least 5 of those are mine. Nice playing btw. :)

Sorely tempted (now I've gotten over the bridge pup) but I just don't have the floating capital at the moment.

Speaking of which, imho you should wait until everyone's wages are in before heading over to evilbay. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1244497' date='May 25 2011, 05:04 PM']At least 5 of those are mine. Nice playing btw. :lol:

Sorely tempted (now I've gotten over the bridge pup) but I just don't have the floating capital at the moment.

Speaking of which, imho you should wait until everyone's wages are in before heading over to evilbay. :)[/quote]

Hmmm.... very good point! Thanks for that :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1244497' date='May 25 2011, 05:04 PM']At least 5 of those are mine. Nice playing btw. :lol:

Speaking of which, imho you should wait until everyone's wages are in before heading over to evilbay. :)[/quote]

On an entirely different matter, I'm an exiled Aberdonian - born in Irvine Place, and brought up in Bon Accord Street... f'like? :)

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='1244517' date='May 25 2011, 05:19 PM']On an entirely different matter, I'm an exiled Aberdonian - born in Irvine Place, and brought up in Bon Accord Street... f'like? :)[/quote]
Nae bad min. Ma doo's are aye chappin'. :)