Why become a member? ×

Velcro for pedal board?

leezo666

Hey every one :)
So iv recently had a moment of madness and decided to try something manly and play with some wood and see if I can make a decent pedal board using this as a guide [topic="0"]http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2271963-My-Do-It-Yourself-IKEA-Pedalboard-Build-Thread[/topic]. Iv still got all original fingers, toes and limbs so im doing ok so far but im not sure what I should use to keep my pedals on the board, I know most people use velcro but I imagine it to be a right faff to get it off if I want to sell any pedals on. I had a quick look in Wilkinsons for some velcro any way but I couldn't see any. Is there any where else that might sell it or is there anything else that might work just as good?

I've found with most pedals with a decent paint job, you can peel velcro off without leaving anything too nasty. Not so easy with boss or DOD pedals that have a rubber base.

Still, johnny shredfreak have [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?cPath=7"]an alternative idea [/url]which may be worth it if building your own board...

Edited by topo morto

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1232940' date='May 16 2011, 12:37 PM']Maplins do a wide Velcro perfect for pedals and a light application of white spirit thinners on a cloth will ease the removal of same from the pedal later.[/quote]

Do you mean wipe with thinners on before applying the velcro, or just to clean any stickiness off?

I may just have been lucky but I always find if you start from the corner of the velcro and pull it away really slowly, all the glue comes away with the velcro rather than staying on the paint.

Just I would prefer to use the thinners for what they are meant for : drinking

Yay... I knew the time would come for me to tell somebody about this!

Check out www.bondingsolutions.co.uk (or you might find it a bit cheaper if you shop around). Pedal board tape they call it, and bloody brilliant it is.

Pros over velcro are that it lasts longer, holds firmer with smaller amounts (your pedals feel utterly solid to stomp on because there's no movement), and so far it's always come away without leaving residue for me.

Top tip - when you first apply it, smooth it over and leave it to settle for 24 hours. It'll be tempting to try it out, but quite often the locking mechanism is stronger than the adhesive when it's first applied, so you'll end up yanking the tape clean off the pedal and thinking it's pants. Give it 24 hours and it's a different story.

[quote name='leezo666' post='1236185' date='May 18 2011, 07:37 PM']Hey thanks for the tips every one :) I think I might save my pennies up next week and give that pedal board tape stuff a go seeing as its getting some good reviews[/quote]

It is real good and the only thing I use for pedals. Velcro never holds the pedals in place in my experience, especially during transit