Why become a member? ×

Light gauge strings

Hector

Hi all.

Changed the strings on my jazz bass recently to a lighter gauge than I usually have, as an experiment. I quite like them, but they're a bit too thin for the slots in the nut. Can this affect my tone? I feel like they buzz a bit, but that could be just cause the strings are bright and new (I'm used to playing old super-dead strings). If it is a problem, is there a simple fix, like padding the nut with some material?

H

[quote name='Hector' post='1231058' date='May 14 2011, 03:57 PM']Hi all.

Changed the strings on my jazz bass recently to a lighter gauge than I usually have, as an experiment. I quite like them, but they're a bit too thin for the slots in the nut. Can this affect my tone? I feel like they buzz a bit, but that could be just cause the strings are bright and new (I'm used to playing old super-dead strings). If it is a problem, is there a simple fix, like padding the nut with some material?

H[/quote]
Is the buzz really in the nut slot? If you are fretting a note then the nut slot doesn't really come into it.

If you've changed to lighter guage strings you may need to tweak the truss rod a little to get the action right and avoid buzzing. Maybe adjust the bridge saddles too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1231157' date='May 14 2011, 05:53 PM']Is the buzz really in the nut slot? If you are fretting a note then the nut slot doesn't really come into it.

If you've changed to lighter guage strings you may need to tweak the truss rod a little to get the action right and avoid buzzing. Maybe adjust the bridge saddles too.[/quote]

+1

If you fit a lighter gauge string then the neck is going to pull backwards - that'll result in the strings getting closer to the frets and stand a good chance of vibrating against the frets.

Try slackening off the truss rod a little so the string tension can pull the neck forwards and the chances are you'll lose that annoying buzz. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1231157' date='May 14 2011, 10:53 AM']Is the buzz really in the nut slot? If you are fretting a note then the nut slot doesn't really come into it.[/quote]

+1, generally speaking, the nut is no longer contributing to the sound of the bass as soon as you press a fret. If the bass only buzzes on open strings then I would probably guess it was a problem with the nut, but if it buzzes on fretted notes too you might want to take icastle's suggestion...

[quote name='Hector' post='1235762' date='May 18 2011, 02:31 PM']Thanks all.

It's just the open strings (and in fact just the E string) - setup was the first thing I did with the new strings! Will try padding the slot with something.[/quote]

May well be the setup?

Do you have sufficient enough break angle on the nut to the string post?
This can often cuase buzzing on the open strings as they'll buzz on the first fret when plucked.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1235869' date='May 18 2011, 03:43 PM']May well be the setup?

Do you have sufficient enough break angle on the nut to the string post?
This can often cuase buzzing on the open strings as they'll buzz on the first fret when plucked.[/quote]

+1

I had that once on a P-bass. The A string would rattle at the nut. I don't like the idea of putting an insert (cardboard, tape of otherwise) at the nut slot, and using graphite is -with all due respect- nonsense, as it's just good to lubricate it, so fine if you have tuning issues because of a sticking nut slot... but that's it. If you put foil or cardboard or anything in teh slot undr the string, apart from looking ugly, you're lifting the string... :)

My preferred option is looking at the break angle. Strings rattle because there is insufficient angle (have a go: press the string *lightly* behind the nut and the rattle will stop). One way to increase the angle is to make sure you wind enough turns of string around the tuner post, with each turn below the previous one. That way the string will leave at its lowest point and you get a better angle. That's often enough.
If, like me, you tend to cut the strings to size so that you only have acouple of turns... that may not give you enough angle. In my case with that P-bass and the A string, it didn't.
Then you can use a string retainer. My P-bass had a button style one for the G and D strings. The E string is closest to the nut and that gives it enough angle... the A was too shallow. I could get a button just for the A, or A and D... but I went with a bar type string retainer, which holds all 4 strings down close to the nut, much like Floyd Rose equipped guitars often have. About £3, 2min to install... and problem solved.

Edited by mcnach

I recommend that strings be cute 5 or 6 inches from the tuning post, however things like string and string post make significant difference.

On my stingray the schaller tuners have and inverted middle and are kinda short and force the winding down low for better break angle. But there is a d-tuner and the post is tall so a few more inches is needed for the windings to be able to push the string lower, the lower the better.

If it is indeed the nut rattling. Buy and fit a new one. However what you've described is commonly associated with the break angle. The best setup in the world won't solve the problem.