Why become a member? ×

In ear monitors - help!!

Ok just bought myself an Audio Technica M2 system and have not had much time to look at it yet due to work and hospital visits etc. I want to mainly use it live to mix my bass signal and the keys players signal in my ears.

Does anyone know if the signal going to both must be an amplified signal ie a DI out or can you just take a line signal such as after my pedal board but before my amp or direct from the keyboard?

When using with a full PA is the monitor send an amplified signal ad that is what you would normally send to an IEM system I guess?

Any help on this gratefully received!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1230891' date='May 14 2011, 12:41 PM']Ok just bought myself an Audio Technica M2 system and have not had much time to look at it yet due to work and hospital visits etc. I want to mainly use it live to mix my bass signal and the keys players signal in my ears.

Does anyone know if the signal going to both must be an amplified signal ie a DI out or can you just take a line signal such as after my pedal board but before my amp or direct from the keyboard?

When using with a full PA is the monitor send an amplified signal ad that is what you would normally send to an IEM system I guess?

Any help on this gratefully received!![/quote]

Does the mixer on your pa have any aux outs?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1230938' date='May 14 2011, 01:42 PM']Wasn't planning to use a mixer just wanted to try and blend the two channels together on the receiver unit.[/quote]

hmm,bit of trial and error on your part probably required there, i have always had them plugged into a monitor/aux out and just blended from the mixer.

Agreed, it will be happy with line level signals.
There should be a reasonable amount of gain control as well so you can tweak to suit.
If you have a link to the manual I`d be happy to have a quick look, but I`ve been feeeding my akg iem system from the line out AND/or the d.i out on my ashdown, and sometimes the out from my Boss GT6B with no problems.
MM
Out of interest, what did the AT unit cost?

Just reading the manual now, and the rear inputs have an individual -1- and -10 pad on them to help match your input source.
"Adjust attenuator on rear panel of M2T Stereo Transmitter to
appropriate level. (See page 5.)
9. Adjust trim level on front panel of M2T Stereo Transmitter, if needed.
(See page 8.)"

I`m presuming "Personal Mixer" mode so you can take a feed from an aux on your P.A desk and a feed from your Bass from a D.I/Line out? pedal out etc, whatever gives you the best tone in your ears I suppose.And blend the two at the beltpack.
There is a minijack unput on the beltpack too for adding an external source like clik or practice recordings etc, might be quite useful.

Edited by Monckyman

Managed to get some time with the M2 last night and it does work with the line signal from my pedal board but does not seem to loud! Going to try it tonight with the keys player at a rehearsal and see how we go.

The supplied headphones don't seem up to much so may have to go for moulded plugs with drivers in them.

I bought the system of EBay for £250 which I think was fairly reasonable. Did want the Shure PSM 200 but it was too expensive and I was not keen to spend a fortune on something which really is a bit of an experiment!
[quote name='Monckyman' post='1231942' date='May 15 2011, 01:39 PM']Agreed, it will be happy with line level signals.
There should be a reasonable amount of gain control as well so you can tweak to suit.
If you have a link to the manual I`d be happy to have a quick look, but I`ve been feeeding my akg iem system from the line out AND/or the d.i out on my ashdown, and sometimes the out from my Boss GT6B with no problems.
MM
Out of interest, what did the AT unit cost?[/quote]

heh, I think we cross posted.
Try the attenuators on the back of the unit, you may have them set at-20. Try -10 if so, should make a big diff to the input level.
I really can`t see there being a prob but you could for instance, use a preamp to boost the signal,from your line out to the input of the unit.
MM