Why become a member? ×

Basses with tailpieces...

Eight

Just wondering if people can help me find basses with classical style tailpieces. I've seen one or two but can't remember any.

Have a project idea - assuming I ever finish that damn Peavy. :)

Cheers guys.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='walbassist' post='1230010' date='May 13 2011, 02:56 PM']I would assume it gives some support to the top of instruments that have hollow or semi-hollow bodies.[/quote]

Yep, the trapeze-style tailpieces certainly (like the ones wot I posted) mean there's less vertical force on the top, which would probably pull a traditional-style bridge right out of a hollowbody.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1229919' date='May 13 2011, 01:57 PM']EDIT: Ibanez AFB200 as well; I'm assuming if it's a project you won't want to be spending Gretsch money :)[/quote]
Hahahah. Yep - good call mate.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I think any of those would look great, I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Wal - that Veillette is unbelievably gorgeous! I'm proper in love. :)

Here's a question for you...

On basses like the AFB and Stylist, the bridge is quite far forward on the body... is there any reason it can't be pulled back towards the tailpiece? Obviously that would change the scale length etc.

[quote name='Eight' post='1234076' date='May 17 2011, 11:01 AM']On basses like the AFB and Stylist, the bridge is quite far forward on the body... is there any reason it can't be pulled back towards the tailpiece?[/quote]

Well, every single note on the neck would be utterly out of tune, but apart from that...:)