Why become a member? ×

Painting question...

Eight

Work commencing on the Peavey restoration project I started last year (and didn't do much of due to British weather); and I'm at the stage of priming and painting the body. I was just going to use spray cans (saw some "special" Fender color ones online) but came across this in my local PoundSaver and wondered if it'd be a better option.

What do you think?

Also, a dumb question for you: I've sanded the body but if you touch it then there's plenty of dust/paint particles etc. still on there. What's a good way of cleaning all this stuff off? Didn't want to take a wet rag to the thing with it being untreated wood.

Cheeeers.

[quote name='Eight' post='1226542' date='May 10 2011, 06:21 PM']Work commencing on the Peavey restoration project I started last year (and didn't do much of due to British weather); and I'm at the stage of priming and painting the body. I was just going to use spray cans (saw some "special" Fender color ones online) but came across this in my local PoundSaver and wondered if it'd be a better option.

What do you think?

Also, a dumb question for you: I've sanded the body but if you touch it then there's plenty of dust/paint particles etc. still on there. What's a good way of cleaning all this stuff off? Didn't want to take a wet rag to the thing with it being untreated wood.

Cheeeers.[/quote]

A bit of clean rag with white spirit on it to clean the dust off.

The only real drawbacks with electric sprayers is that you'll 1) have to track down suitable primer and paint in liquid (instead of aerosol) form and 2) the electric sprayer will need cleaning every time you finish using it or change paint types.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1226663' date='May 10 2011, 08:02 PM']If you are planning on doing a lot of painting,[/quote]
I doubt it - given that it's taken me a year to sand one body. :)

Will check out whether the Fender colours are available in a suitable liquid form first. Shame to miss out on a bargain but if I goes the same way as the other tools I bought when they were cheap (i.e. never used) then it might not be worth picking one up.

Oh, and cheers iCastle for the rag+spirit tip.

Depends what you want to paint with it? Fences, yes guitars, maybe, cars, no way.

If you dont have your own quality shooter, then better to go with rattle cans. You can get very good finishes. If you take care to practice first.
1) dont try and get every drop from thr tin, 2) keep the nozzles clean and clear them after using, 3) warm the spray cans to room temp first and dont spray in the cold/damp/dusty enviroments. Then you can get some very fine finishes even from rattle cans.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Eight' post='1227248' date='May 11 2011, 10:34 AM']I could kiss you Dave. Stay away from the north for your own safety. :)

My initial efforts to find some Sonic Blue paint in the UK were fruitless; you've just solved a big problem for me before I even hit it.[/quote]

No worries, I'm on my way North soon.... (only getting as far as wales though, should be safe)