Why become a member? ×

FS MTD 535-21 "Marilyn"

Marlat

[b]For this weekend only, until Monday at 23:59, I will let this go shipped in the UK for £2,450 (EU and international shipping will cost a bit more). That won't include the setup, but thats a £250 reduction to the asking price[/b]. As noted earlier if it doesn't sell I am going to take it off the market because I know I will regret selling this, but it would be nice to have the money for a house deposit.

Along with my Sadowsky I am also selling my MTD-535 "Marilyn". These are incredibly hard to come by and Mike T often says he's going to stop making them (although I believe you can still order one if you ask nicely!).

The Specs:

MTD 535-21 "Marilyn" #34
Chambered Alder Body
Amazing figured walnut top
Wenge neck (beautiful closed grain with deep chocolate colour)
Birdseye maple fingerboard (deed caramel colour)
Matching walnut headstock
Dual veneers.
MTD "The World" logo
Standard MTD exclusive bart pickups and preamp

Weight: 4.2kgs

Comes with:
MTD Original hardshell case (its the older MTD model without the hydrometer but with the MTD logo). I have a newer MTD with the new case. If you really want the new case I can include that one, but the shipping is going to cost more since the new cases weigh a ton. If you plan on gigging with it you can forget about taking the new case, its just too heavy! (Not that the older style is light, its also a very robust case).

MTD build time at the moment varies between about 9 months and 18 months. Marilyns tend to take about 18 because of the extra work involved in the chambering. The selling price on this bass now would be over $5500USD plus shipping & VAT (assuming you could order one).

Its in excellent condition. There is one or two small dings on the body, including one on the front under the bridge pickup, but they are not particuarly deep and only noticeable when you look for them.

As with my Sadowsky the bass could do with a setup. I can arrange it and have built the cost of doing so into the price. If you are happy to take it without the setup you can take £50 off the price.

Asking price is: £2700 inc shipping and insurance within the UK. No trades.
International: Let me know where you re located and I will give you an estimate for shipping.
I am in London, so local pickup would save on the shipping costs!

Pics:

Paypal is okay. Cash or direct deposit is preferred.

PM me with any questions.

Edited by Mark Latimour

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='1223939' date='May 8 2011, 10:07 AM']If it only were a sixer!

'Marilyn' basses are always chambered and have a thicker body than the normal MTDs, right? Gives a very different tone from what I've heard.[/quote]

Correct, the basses are named after Marilyn Chambers (get it? :) )

They have a thcicked body and a number of acoustic chambers in the body. The sound is huge, they are probably the most amazing sounding MTDs in terms of the ultra-wide tonal spectrum. Massive bottom end. In a mix you have to turn down the bass as it can be a little overwhelming, but on its own the sound is sublime. The MTD are very flexible as the EQ is powerful and can really cover almost any tone you can imagine. My main bass is an MTD 535-24 - the only reason the marilyn is going is that I prefer the 24 frets and I can't bring myself to sell either of my other two basses (a custom I got for my 21st birthday and a Ritter Royal).

Completely unrelated question.. what type of bass is that with all those frets? Epic : ) How many frets are there?

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1223916' date='May 8 2011, 09:29 AM']Along with my Sadowsky I am also selling my MTD-535 "Marilyn". These are incredibly hard to come by and Mike T often says he's going to stop making them (although I believe you can still order one if you ask nicely!).

The Specs:

MTD 535-21 "Marilyn" #34
Chambered Alder Body
Amazing figured walnut top
Wenge neck (beautiful closed grain with deep chocolate colour)
Birdseye maple fingerboard (deed caramel colour)
Matching walnut headstock
Dual veneers.
MTD "The World" logo
Standard MTD exclusive bart pickups and preamp

Weight: 4.2kgs

Comes with:
MTD Original hardshell case (its the older MTD model without the hydrometer but with the MTD logo). I have a newer MTD with the new case. If you really want the new case I can include that one, but the shipping is going to cost more since the new cases weigh a ton. If you plan on gigging with it you can forget about taking the new case, its just too heavy! (Not that the older style is light, its also a very robust case).

MTD build time at the moment varies between about 9 months and 18 months. Marilyns tend to take about 18 because of the extra work involved in the chambering. The selling price on this bass now would be over $5500USD plus shipping & VAT (assuming you could order one).

Its in excellent condition. There is one or two small dings on the body, including one on the front under the bridge pickup, but they are not particuarly deep and only noticeable when you look for them.

As with my Sadowsky the bass could do with a setup. I can arrange it and have built the cost of doing so into the price. If you are happy to take it without the setup you can take £50 off the price.

Asking price is: £2700 inc shipping and insurance within the UK. No trades.
International: Let me know where you re located and I will give you an estimate for shipping.
I am in London, so local pickup would save on the shipping costs!

Pics:

Paypal is okay. Cash or direct deposit is preferred.

PM me with any questions.[/quote]

[quote name='Darshan' post='1234114' date='May 17 2011, 11:32 AM']Completely unrelated question.. what type of bass is that with all those frets? Epic : ) How many frets are there?[/quote]

That's one of Jen's Ritter's basses. Its the Ritter Royal "Casa Fronto" finished in antiqued plaster. It has 38 frets (of which about 28 are genuinely playable). The rest of them are just a design thing. Its a really cool bass, but its not useful for all genres. The pickups is jammed up against theb ridge so its quite midrangey all the time. Sometimes you need to boost the bass with an outboard EQ for example. That said, its light as a feather and really easy to play!

[quote name='gorandelac' post='1234395' date='May 17 2011, 03:02 PM']Bump for nice bass, too bad no trades :)[/quote]

I'd consider a Fodera, but that's about it (only because I haven't owned one and always wanted to! :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1234570' date='May 17 2011, 05:02 PM']Hi Mark, could you post some pics of the Ritter?[/quote]

Here's a link to Jens photos of the bass. I have some at home, but can't post the link from my work!

[url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=359"]http://www.ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=359[/url]

Just a heads up, I am going to leave this on the market for one more week and then I'm withdrawing it from sale. I keep getting pangs of guilt everytime I think of selling this bass since they are pretty rare and sound superb. There hasn't been much interest anyway so I think I will keep it, but if you want to make me an offer on it, this is the week to do it otherwise its off the market. I will consider reasonable offers and will defintely sell for the asking price this week!

• 6 months later...