Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DHA Production VTX range of Bass amps

DHA

We are now taking orders for the production DHA VTX range of Bass power amps.

As many of you know we have been developing these over the last 6 months and we are now happy with the design and going to PCB.

The range has 4 models.

1. VTX-Bass - £599+P&P - this is the all valve 4W version with DI and Line out to feed existing power amps, PA and direct recording.

2. VTX-400-Bass - £799+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a Class D 400W Solid State amp.

3. VTX-700-Bass - £999+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a Class D 700W Solid State amp.

4. VTX-400x400-Bass - £1199+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a 2 selectable Class D 400W Solid State amps. Switching options for 2x400W, 1x400W or none.

All have the same following specifications, it's just the SS power section that changes.

1. 2U 19" rack mount with silkscreen or DHA custom paint.
2. Three 12ax7 pre-amp valves and one 4W EL90 power valve.
3. Two stage pre-amp, clean and overdrive selectable via front panel or footswitch.
4. Valve driven FX loop with blend. Selectable via front panel or footswitch.
5. Active tone controls with 15dB cut and boost.
6. LED VU meters on input and output.
7. Tuner mute, selectable via front panel or footswitch.
8. i/p pad.
9. Line out with level.
10. DI out with level.
11. Mains operation.
12. Valve drive control (sets valve output distortion)
13. Master level control (sets SS power amp level)
14. SS power stage peak led.
15. SS power amp select switch.
16. Standby and mains on.
17. SS power amp DC speaker protect.
18. Valve stage speaker out jack with 4, 8 and 16R select switch.

The valve pre-amp and low wattage power stage with output transformer drives an internal dummy load or speaker cab. The signal at this point is used to drive the DI, line out and the SS power stage so that the tone is not just pre-amp distortion but also valve power amp overdrive.

Options include the footswitch at £35 and flightcase or amp sleeve (POA)

I will offer any BC member any of the above with free footswitch and amp sleeve as way of a discount. I will also a limited number of these at a discount in return for reviews, endosements, etc. first come first serve.

I am interested in your comments on the pricing, options, range, features, etc and how they compare to others out there.

Dave

[quote name='clauster' post='139502' date='Feb 13 2008, 02:03 PM']Am I missing something or is the compressor not there anymore?[/quote]

Compressor is removed.

It just didn't work out in the chain when at higher gains plus the front panel is fully loaded with other bits and bobs and it brings the price down.

Dave

Edited by DHA

[quote name='Machines' post='139497' date='Feb 13 2008, 01:59 PM']I'd love to do a review for you Dave, the VTX-400 would probably suit me best. I'm not in a buying position at the moment but it would be a bit of an insight for people who are.

Let me know if you're interested.

Matt[/quote]

I am going to build one as a demo version which I shall offer to the bass magazines first. Might be something we could let out to the BC bashes and a few select members.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DHA' post='139468' date='Feb 13 2008, 01:25 PM']We are now taking orders for the production DHA VTX range of Bass power amps.

As many of you know we have been developing these over the last 6 months and we are now happy with the design and going to PCB.

The range has 4 models.

1. VTX-Bass - £599+P&P - this is the all valve 4W version with DI and Line out to feed existing power amps, PA and direct recording.

2. VTX-400-Bass - £799+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a Class D 400W Solid State amp.

3. VTX-700-Bass - £999+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a Class D 700W Solid State amp.

4. VTX-400x400-Bass - £1199+P&P - All valve pre-amp and 4W power stage feeding a 2 selectable Class D 400W Solid State amps. Switching options for 2x400W, 1x400W or none.

All have the same following specifications, it's just the SS power section that changes.

3. Two stage pre-amp, clean and overdrive selectable via front panel or footswitch.
8. i/p pad.
9. Line out with level.
10. DI out with level.
11. Mains operation.

The valve pre-amp and low wattage power stage with output transformer drives an internal dummy load or speaker cab. The signal at this point is used to drive the DI, line out and the SS power stage so that the tone is not just pre-amp distortion but also valve power amp overdrive.

I will offer any BC member any of the above with free footswitch and amp sleeve as way of a discount. I will also a limited number of these at a discount in return for reviews, endosements, etc. first come first serve.

I am interested in your comments on the pricing, options, range, features, etc and how they compare to others out there.

Dave[/quote]

I have ordered the first batch of 5 PCBs for this, they should be here next week. As already stated I will let this first pre-production run go a little cheaper, 3 have already been ordered so that's 2 left.

Dave

Why is there a switch to select the speaker load being used? I thought this was just on valve amps, not SS. I'm curious as my Mesa Titan V12 has a switch that you engage when going down to 2-ohms. I thought if an amp can handle a 2-ohm load there's no need for a switch.

No doubt there is a technical explanation!

Thanks

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='145958' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:38 PM']Why is there a switch to select the speaker load being used? I thought this was just on valve amps, not SS. I'm curious as my Mesa Titan V12 has a switch that you engage when going down to 2-ohms. I thought if an amp can handle a 2-ohm load there's no need for a switch.

No doubt there is a technical explanation!

Thanks[/quote]

It is a valve amp and the switch is for the valve amp speaker selection. The SS power stage will work fine at anything down to 4 ohm.

dave

[quote name='DHA' post='139468' date='Feb 13 2008, 01:25 PM']We are now taking orders for the production DHA VTX range of Bass power amps.

The range has 4 models.

8. i/p pad.
9. Line out with level.
10. DI out with level.
11. Mains operation.

Dave[/quote]

I have added a new feature to the active tone controls, it's a Q control. It works on the Mid range and allows you to select the frequency at which the Mid control cuts or boosts. You will be able to pick the sweet spot for your bass.

This will be standard on the VTX range and the VT2-Pre-amps from now on.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='146885' date='Feb 25 2008, 08:24 PM']I have added a new feature to the active tone controls, it's a Q control. It works on the Mid range and allows you to select the frequency at which the Mid control cuts or boosts. You will be able to pick the sweet spot for your bass.

This will be standard on the VTX range and the VT2-Pre-amps from now on.

Dave[/quote]

Perfect!!

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='147262' date='Feb 26 2008, 02:43 PM']Perfect!![/quote]

Hi Steve,

I tested the design on your VT5-Bass but there is no room on the front panel for the new Q control as yours is already drilled, marked up and 3/4 wired so I will fit it on the back.

The production models will have the Q control under the mid eq pot.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='147276' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:05 PM']I tested the design on your VT5-Bass but there is no room on the front panel for the new Q control as yours is already drilled, marked up and 3/4 wired so I will fit it on the back.[/quote]

No probs, Dave, it'll only be a minor inconvenience compared to the bonus of having it :)

Just out of interest what's the frequency range that the mid sweep covers? Oh, and what centre frequencies did you decide on for the bass and treble?

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='147297' date='Feb 26 2008, 03:53 PM']No probs, Dave, it'll only be a minor inconvenience compared to the bonus of having it :)

Just out of interest what's the frequency range that the mid sweep covers? Oh, and what centre frequencies did you decide on for the bass and treble?

Regards,
Steve.[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Bass 30Hz, Mid (Q in mid position) 1Khz, Treble 10KHz. There is about a 15-19dB cut and boost at each frequency. It's what called a Baxendall design and considered by many to be the best active eq there is.

I have not worked out how much sweep the Q adds yet, but its a fair bit if my ears tell me right.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='147310' date='Feb 26 2008, 04:35 PM']Hi Steve,

Bass 30Hz, Mid (Q in mid position) 1Khz, Treble 10KHz. There is about a 15-19dB cut and boost at each frequency. It's what called a Baxendall design and considered by many to be the best active eq there is.

I have not worked out how much sweep the Q adds yet, but its a fair bit if my ears tell me right.

Dave[/quote]

30Hz!! Wow, some of the rickety stages I've played on won't survive that when I pump it through my 1000w power amp :)

[quote name='wazz' post='150851' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:13 AM']Superb.
Hows the build coming along?

Warren[/quote]

The new boards are due in any day and Jim is shoe horning the 700W module and power supply into the 2U rack.

Dave

Hi Dave

What Cabs would you suggest matching to your amps?

Only asking because recently read a thread saying that Epi cabs are not well matched with Valve amps (I currently have a Epi UL112) so don't know if that would work with your amp, I'm guessing because you're using a D Class SS at the end it would be ok :) .

Also what Ohms should the cabs be?

Depending upon how things go in the next few months I could be interested a 400w version?

[quote name='jwbassman' post='151504' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:24 AM']Hi Dave

What Cabs would you suggest matching to your amps?

Only asking because recently read a thread saying that Epi cabs are not well matched with Valve amps (I currently have a Epi UL112) so don't know if that would work with your amp, I'm guessing because you're using a D Class SS at the end it would be ok :) .

Also what Ohms should the cabs be?

Depending upon how things go in the next few months I could be interested a 400w version?[/quote]

As the high volume output is solid state then there won't be any issues with any cabs.

All the versons produce max output at 4ohm and have 2 parallel speakon connectors.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='151633' date='Mar 5 2008, 01:13 PM']As the high volume output is solid state then there won't be any issues with any cabs.

All the versons produce max output at 4ohm and have 2 parallel speakon connectors.

Dave[/quote]

Cheers - thanks Dave :)