Why become a member? ×

Got married and now I'm rolling in offers!

mrtcat

Up until recently Ive been playing with my pub covers band and also keeping an eye open for other projects. I love my covers band but as you might expect in order to be busy we play stuff to please pub goers. I always fancied a second band that played some of my fave stuff (Aerosmith, Poison, GnR, Skid Row etc etc)which is unlikely to make me mega busy but the odd gig doing this stuff would put a big smile on my face. Nothing came along - no biggie as I still get regular gigs with my covers band.

Then last Saturday I got married to my very beautiful and tollerant better half. Since then I've had four offers of bands I like the sound of. One called tonight and I've frantically learnt five songs for an impromptu audition tomorrow night.

Is this because I'm married? Lol

Nothing attracts people more than unavailabity - and being married exudes the very fact that you will now never be able to say yes to a gig/rehearsal without at least seven and a half years notice. Or at least, that`s what it has seemed like from the people I`ve been in bands with, who were married.

Congratulations, by the way, the above was purely sarcasm. And good luck with the audition.

I got married just over a month ago and was actually replaced by one of my bands while I was on honeymoon (band leader got annoyed that I couldn't make a rehearsal, even though I'd told him I'd be on holiday). My main band's kinda lost it's focus as I wasn't booking gigs or pushing rehearsals during the build up to the wedding - net result is that I'm at my lowest level of musical activity since 2006. So no, it's nothing to do with getting married.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1212158' date='Apr 26 2011, 10:38 PM'].......in order to be busy we play stuff to please pub goers. I always fancied a second band that played some of my fave stuff (Aerosmith, Poison, GnR, Skid Row etc etc)which is unlikely to make me mega busy but the odd gig doing this stuff would put a big smile on my face. Nothing came along -.........???????????[/quote]

I would have thought that those sorts of covers would have made you very busy..or at least they would round here.

I am constantly surprised at some people typical sets when they publish them here and this is more adventurous albeit, just a little, IMO.

A mates band are going to make a go of it with 90's Seattle stuff..AFAICT.. and they have impressive launch party numbers of people already.

If the band is good..it will work out in the end, IMO... just that it might take longer or depend how hard you market it.
Biggest draw round here, IIRC, in most pub type places is an originals band... go figure..!!