Why become a member? ×

Recording from last weekend's gig

Huw Foster

So the drummer from my covers band ([url="http://www.thewhitekeys.co.uk/"]The White Keys[/url]) decided to record last Saturday's gig (a wedding, like most of them), simply as an aid to any potential deps. It was a combination of the output from the desk and a room mic (affixed to a lamp on the opposite wall), recorded via a USB interface into Logic.

After some (heavy) compression, the end result is actually not that bad! Obviously the levels are a bit off here and there (there's LOADS of synth bass; I don't think that's necessarily a problem), but that was to be expected.

Here's a sample he sent out - the two tunes are 'Ain't Nobody' (Chaka Khan) and 'I Wish' (Stevie Wonder, although he insists on referring to it as Wild Wild West, probably just to annoy me):
[url="http://www.4shared.com/audio/q-XIIpaW/Aint_Nobody-Wild_Wild_West.html"]http://www.4shared.com/audio/q-XIIpaW/Aint..._Wild_West.html[/url]

P.S. The outro of the second tune cuts out early as Logic screwed up. An all too familiar occurrence to anyone else who uses it, I'm sure. :)

P.P.S. I know I overplay the synth bass stuff (a combination of my OC-2 and Micro Synth) - probably as the novelty of those effects hasn't worn off yet. :) Also, please excuse the couple of occasions I slip out of the pocket, and the odd bum note. I blame this on lack of 'proper' recent practice, at least on my part!

As with most gigs in this band I used my '50s Precision, through a Little Mark II and an Aguilar GS212.

Good versions!

I also try and record as many gigs as I can, but the sound is rarely this good. Useful to go over the good and bad bits, and sort them out.

BTW I'm quite envious that you're allowed to play with effects and stuff. I wasn't even allowed a little envelope filter in our funkier covers...

[quote name='razze06' post='1211524' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:00 AM']BTW I'm quite envious that you're allowed to play with effects and stuff. I wasn't even allowed a little envelope filter in our funkier covers...[/quote]
Really? That's a shame. Seems like some of your fellow bandmates need their ears checked!

We do Ain't Noboby with Kayona (a function band I play in) and it doesn't sound anything like this :) (I think, on balance, your's is probably a little more together)

Great sound. Am loving the fusion guitar sound. Some interesting arrangement ideas (just before 2nd verse, the break etc)