Why become a member? ×

I miss my 66 Slab Precision so much......

The Bass Doc

Being stooopid enough to sell my ultra rare Slab some years ago (think it's the one Barry Matthews has now), I set about recreating one with similar characteristics.

The neck is maple on maple (but Jazz width and an extra fret on a 'shelf'), body in tulip wood, 60's style bridge and tuners, gen Fender pickup, CTS pots, scratchplate made by me plus a full aluminium screening plate under.

Sounds? Bloody great.

[attachment=78233:101.JPG]

[attachment=78234:102.JPG]

[quote name='Johnston' post='1209475' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:10 PM']Tidy !!

What about the fabled different wiring ??[/quote]

Having owned the real thing, I can't recall anything different in that department - 250K pots, cloth wiring and a 0.05 cappy. I always reckoned it was the strength of the pickup (about 11.5K and the physics of the neck and body combination that gave it the extra 'clank' which you hear to good effect on that vid by The Move.

[quote name='benebass' post='1209511' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:42 PM']Very nice Howard! Always loved the bass sound on T.Rex tunes & recently found out most of it was recorded on one of these. Classic...

B.[/quote]

Cheers B, I'll give you a demo when you come over next week.

[quote name='LennyP' post='1210186' date='Apr 24 2011, 05:46 PM']What is the origin of the neck? Love P Basses, but the neck profile is a 'make or break' situation for me.[/quote]

At present it's a Warmoth Jazz neck but I intend to get a custom-made Precision one with classic pre-CBS profile, nut width 1 3/4" and with a 'rolled' maple fingerboard as opposed to the slab one so that it will be as close as possible to the original.