Why become a member? ×

Painting A Pickguard

silentbob

I'm in the process of pimping my Affinity Precision and fancy giving it a sparkly black metallic pickguard. Trouble is i can't find anything that i'm after in the way of blank material, so i was wondering if painting the old pickguard was an option. Just thought i'd ask here first to see if anyone has already done this successfully, and if so, is there a certain procedure i need to follow, or certain products i need to use, to stop the paint flaking off.
Cheers
Rob

Here's what I normally do.Take the pickguard,and cover it with good sticky backed plastic.Seriously!I know it sounds a bit Blue Peter,but if you get some hobby type stuff,it turns out OK.Trimmed round the edges with a very sharp blade,and a bit of care taken it can look quite good.Plus,it's removable,should you fancy a change.Plus times 2,there is a vast range of finishes to choose from.Just make sure the pickguard is spotlessly clean and de-greased before you start.
PS,you see the pickguard on my avatar pic?Used to be white.

Edited by squire5

[quote name='squire5' post='1209124' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:39 PM']Here's what I normally do.Take the pickguard,and cover it with good sticky backed plastic.Seriously!I know it sounds a bit Blue Peter,but if you get some hobby type stuff,it turns out OK.Trimmed round the edges with a very sharp blade,and a bit of care taken it can look quite good.Plus,it's removable,should you fancy a change.Plus times 2,there is a vast range of finishes to choose from.Just make sure the pickguard is spotlessly clean and de-greased before you start.
PS,you see the pickguard on my avatar pic?Used to be white.[/quote]

Had a look online, loads of different finishes, just none that seem to suit what i'm after. Good idea though.

This is what i used for my pickguard on the cheap. Good stuff.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polycarbonate-Sheet-Plastic-Sheet-Clear-297x420x2mm-A3-/320601277277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa553435d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polycarbonate-Sheet-...=item4aa553435d[/url]

To make mine

I sprayed the underside black. smooth finish on top.

I'm going to be doing this myself soon pimping up a old strat copy. I work in a car paintshop and the way I'll be doing it is to lightly scuff the surface with 800 or 1000 grade wet and dry or sanding disc. Clean it over and when dry spray a coat of a plastic adhesion promoter over it (you may be able to get this at a good vehicle paint suppliers in an aerosol can we have it in this and for use in spray guns) It takes about 20 minutes to dry and then spray over with a colour base coat and finish with clear. Because the pickguard is flat and wont flex itshould be enough. Hope this helps.