Why become a member? ×

Road Worn Hardware?

son of frog

[quote name='skej21' post='1215879' date='Apr 30 2011, 03:27 PM']Correct. I'm using Co-op's own brand Diet Cola. Put the neck plate in at 1pm. Still in there now and has not made any noticeable change.

Maybe my Co-op cola is too high-brow. Maybe some Netto cola would have been a better option?[/quote]

I'm being serious here, but I seem to remember being told that it has to be Coca Cola......

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1215905' date='Apr 30 2011, 04:09 PM']I'm being serious here, but I seem to remember being told that it has to be Coca Cola......[/quote]

So only full on branded Coca-Cola? The red one, with the sugar in? :)

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1215921' date='Apr 30 2011, 04:24 PM']Forget Coke/wee and all the rest.[/quote]

Cokewee... why did nobody think of this earlier?! I'm off to drink 6 litres of Coke and bottle up the resultant corrosive!

Hmmm... I did ask if it would work, not state that it would...

It really did loosen my cylinder head bolts though...and I do seem to remember trying it with cheap cola first and it not working.

Maybe you could try a kind of reverse chrome plating process? If I recall, electroplating is done by passing an electric current through two pieces of metal via an electrolite? The positive terminal is attached to nickel or whatever and this then (when the current is turned on) coats whatever is attached to the negative terminal.... You could attach your hardware to the positive and any old bit of metal to the negative and in theory, the chrome will come off your hardware and coat the other bit of old tin...

I stand to be corrected on this by somebody who actually knows about electroplating!

I still reckon leaving your tuners, bridge etc in Coca Cola overnight, will at least dull the finish and make them look old.

Edited by 4-string-thing

I'm only doing it as a "it does/doesn't work" test... don't actually care whether it works or not TBH. Had a few hours to kill while I watch the footy and before going out to gig tonight.

I'll let you all know how it goes (or doesn't go) :)

[quote name='son of frog' post='1208724' date='Apr 22 2011, 10:36 PM']I would have thought although urine does have corrosive properties it is also great at sterilising things[/quote]

OT :) erm... very much doubt it's any good at sterilising anything...