Why become a member? ×

westone thunder 1a re-build

bozzie

One of my first basses, when i started playing was a Westone thunder 1a, was an early model, at the time it was great and i really regretted selling it.

Last year i had chance to get a later model. i jumped at it. To be fair it was a 24 year old bass and was beginning to show its age, dings, scratches, dodgy controls.

With this in mind i ordered a few replacement parts for it with the intention of rebuilding it to its former glory, now i know there will be purist's who will tell me they never had those bridges, machine heads, controls etc. But for me i feel its enhancing, what i always considered was a good bass.

Currently the guitar is in parts, the paint has been stripped off. Initially i planned a dark red/purple colour with chrome bridge, control knobs, machine heads etc. But have since decided to change that to something far more eye-catching, with black hardware.

I will update further with pics when i get the chance.

Nice one dude, I always liked those ol' Westones!
I had a shot of one once that had a fuzz circuit built in, the owner was convinced it was stock, but I wasn't so sure...
I do understand the purist's point of view, at least when it comes to instruments that retain a lot of value, but at the end of the day, basses are for playing, so as long as it's tasteful I'm sure it'll rock :)

Anyway, good luck with the "enhancement" of an underrated classic.

Eude

• 3 weeks later...

Part 2 Body Restoration

body stripped down ready for priming and painting.

what do you think of the colour?

For anybody wondering the spraycan cap and nitromors cap were just in place to raise the body so it didnt stick to the paper during painting :)

the back of the body was lifted using the neck plate and spacer and more caps placed in the electronics compartment :)

bolted back together for the moment.

The plan is to leave it now for a few weeks for the paint to harden.

It will then be flatted down again any small imperfections rectified and receive another 6 coats of laquer.

It will then be left for a few more weeks before being flatted again before a final buff and polish with a Polishing mop.

Then its time to fit the new hardware in black and then i'll take it to a local shop to be re-strung and set up.