Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gig on the 23rd and just found serious hardware failure

munkonthehill

So I think its roughly 1 year since my last proper gig where I needed my own PA and stuff.

When we were gigging we were told that the singer was muffled and quite bassy. But as we didnt really do any soundchecks for the small venues and as we had the monitors facing us sounding ok, we just assumed it was poor EQ and constantly mucked about with it. The band split and the PA went into the celler.

So fastforward to Friday night.

My new band have a gig lined up for the 23rd. So we agreed we would use all our own gear at Friday nights rehearsal. Set up everything and everything worked fine all lights on and we had sound.

However we instanly noticed that we were very muffled and in actual fact the monitors seemed louder than my speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I investigated further only to find both horns had blown and no doubt in my mind were like that when we bought it and gigged with them like that for a year :)

So thankfully a very close friend is the man to know when it comes to speaker upkeep. So after a quick visit and a cuppa tea later I left the speakers with him and he has ordered new horns which should be here on Tuesday and fitted before Saturday....................

So there we go kids,,,,,,take care of your gear.

Just thinking how bad we must have sounded with no horns in all those past gigs :)

They're not Peavey Pro15s are they?

My brother was using our PA for his band and getting constant complaints that it wasn't loud enough. So much so that he hired some subs for a gig because the drummer said his bass drum wasn't sounding punchy enough (go figure).

I found both had gone and Wembley PA supplied us with a couple of drivers next day. Tweeters are very susceptible to distortion at levels much lower than the main speakers are. Make sure you are sending a clean signal though your speakers.

[quote name='TimR' post='1202947' date='Apr 17 2011, 08:55 PM']They're not Peavey Pro15s are they?

My brother was using our PA for his band and getting constant complaints that it wasn't loud enough. So much so that he hired some subs for a gig because the drummer said his bass drum wasn't sounding punchy enough (go figure).

I found both had gone and Wembley PA supplied us with a couple of drivers next day. Tweeters are very susceptible to distortion at levels much lower than the main speakers are. Make sure you are sending a clean signal though your speakers.[/quote]

its only vocals going through the PA and now I know what the muffled issues are I have adjusted the EQ accordingly. On Friday we fired working speakers into the PA and all was well.

Glad you have sorted it, I own our PA and there are so many things that can go a miss. I wondered if yours was a cable short to the speakers that can sound odd and of course do damage to your amp. The other thing to watch for is insert jacks. I use a sterio exciter /enhancer on ballanced jacks so like stereo to two monos (send -Return) jack sockets can get tired and these need to make contact again internally when not in use. I periodically use a professional contact cleaner and spray a jack with it, then run the sprayed jack in and out of all the jacks on the mixer to clean them up. same with you sliders each gig slide them all up and down whilst off their full travel. these two things should avoid any poor quality or scratchy sound. It is amazing how much dust and sh..t gets thrown up by dancers over a mixer. I also keep spare everything just in case, but not speakers !!

All the best :)

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1203053' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:02 PM']Glad you have sorted it, I own our PA and there are so many things that can go a miss. I wondered if yours was a cable short to the speakers that can sound odd and of course do damage to your amp. The other thing to watch for is insert jacks. I use a sterio exciter /enhancer on ballanced jacks so like stereo to two monos (send -Return) jack sockets can get tired and these need to make contact again internally when not in use. I periodically use a professional contact cleaner and spray a jack with it, then run the sprayed jack in and out of all the jacks on the mixer to clean them up. same with you sliders each gig slide them all up and down whilst off their full travel. these two things should avoid any poor quality or scratchy sound. It is amazing how much dust and sh..t gets thrown up by dancers over a mixer. I also keep spare everything just in case, but not speakers !!

All the best :)[/quote]

food for thought there. I will keep this in mind and give it a wee mini service the best I can.

[quote name='TimR' post='1202947' date='Apr 17 2011, 08:55 PM']They're not Peavey Pro15s are they?

I found both had gone and Wembley PA supplied us with a couple of drivers next day. Tweeters are very susceptible to distortion at levels much lower than the main speakers are. Make sure you are sending a clean signal though your speakers.[/quote]

Wow that is spooky.I just started reading this post with interest as the same thing just happened with our PA.What kind of speakers?? Peavey Pro-15s! Both horns gone at once.They're less than a year old as well.We've also got a gig on the 23rd,and I'm hoping the replacements will be here tomorrow.

[quote name='squire5' post='1203058' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:10 PM']Wow that is spooky.I just started reading this post with interest as the same thing just happened with our PA.What kind of speakers?? Peavey Pro-15s! Both horns gone at once.They're less than a year old as well.We've also got a gig on the 23rd,and I'm hoping the replacements will be here tomorrow.[/quote]
yes +1 on the pro 15's...

So whats the moral of this tale... avoid Peavey Pro-15's possibly?

G...

[quote name='squire5' post='1203058' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:10 PM']Wow that is spooky.I just started reading this post with interest as the same thing just happened with our PA.What kind of speakers?? Peavey Pro-15s! Both horns gone at once.They're less than a year old as well.We've also got a gig on the 23rd,and I'm hoping the replacements will be here tomorrow.[/quote]

LOL. They didn't seem suprised and got some next day.

Watch/listen for clipping. This is particularly bad for PA tweeters. Make sure that the volume is turned right down before you turn the amp on or off.

Edited by TimR

the PA is a samson rig. All matching although i cant remember the exact model.

Speakers are 225watt 8ohm and I found the tweeter to be 50watt 8ohm which will be getting upgraded to a 60watt 8ohm replacement.

The band I bought it from were a ceilidh band and ran everything through the PA. They must have known they were blown when they sold them which I feel a bit sh*tty.

However we got a 900watt (2x450 each side) PA head along with 2x 225watt speakers and 2x 175watt monitors for 200bucks.

Even with these replacements I still think it was a bloody good deal.

Are you using the PA head in Mono and the other channel for foldback, That would be a good match a keep everything ticking over nicely. and will not strain anything I used an old Peavey 8 channel mono amp for the first ten years of our band. Drummer would still prefer it. You don't need stereo just because you have an ear each side of ya head. The industry have pushed us that way. have to sign off now the nurse has come to take me back to my room. :)