Why become a member? ×

Alesis DM5 Pro Electric Drums

Continuing with my gear clearout, here's my Alesis DM5 Pro electric drum kit:

[url="http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/6800408/DSCN0310.JPG.html"][/url]

[url="http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/6800409/DSCN0312.JPG.html"][/url]

Not much to say except this is a very cheap electric kit with actual skins rather than those horrid rubber pads that you would normally get. Ideal for someone who wants something to have a mess around on (like me) or if you want to lay down some tracks in the studio. The drum brain itself is a quality piece of kit in its own right and can connect to your computer via MIDI

It's in full working order although the skins have seen a bit of action. Comes with mapex kick drum pedal, sticks and a little rudiments pad. Looking for £150 for this, collection from Wirral or Stafford.

Cheers, any questions please ask!

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1211384' date='Apr 26 2011, 02:14 AM']Hey man where are you based?

Arr sorry just seen. Got family in Wallasey, will have a think...
[b]
Can this operate as a midi controller for VSTs etc.?[/b][/quote]

I believe it can yes as it has midi ins/outs. I would want to definitely check that first, there should be a manual online for it!

• 2 weeks later...

[code][/code][quote name='Waldo' post='1211627' date='Apr 26 2011, 01:01 PM']I believe it can yes as it has midi ins/outs. I would want to definitely check that first, there should be a manual online for it![/quote]
This can definitely work to control vsts - you just need a good soundcard to ensure that you get a low latency and a midi input, and a half decent vst host on your computer.

Just make sure that your card has ASIO drivers with a relatively low latency (about 20ms or less), and a midi in, and you can do this.

Something like grizzly and reaper would work fine with, say, an m-audio 2496 sound card.

Or if you have the [s]inclination to pirate things[/s] money, Cubase and Superior Drummer.

I have a DM5 (with a customised Traps kit), and have used it to control midi sounds and vsts for a wee while. Just be certain to connect its output to the card's input, to turn off the Alesis local control, and to set its output to channel 10.

You'll probably have to fiddle with the settings a bit, and I've found that the piezo triggers in edrums react poorly to changes in humidity and temperature, meaning that adjustment is required after moving, and they aren't ideal for gigging.

That said, the sound module can be nicely set up with a bit of patience, and quite subtly handles rolls, etc. on vastly different triggers. The onboard sounds are not my cup of tea, but quite acceptable in ceefax or dancefloor jazz circles.

Ymmv.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1223503' date='May 7 2011, 05:12 PM']Idle curiosity here, but do the "real" skins mean that it sounds louder acoustically than those with rubbery pads?[/quote]

Id like to know the above too.
I live in the wirral and I'm thinking about getting an electric kit for some studio stuff.