Why become a member? ×

Micing/Post amp DI signal issues

Oscar South

Hey, lately I've been developing this project: [url="http://www.reverbnation.com/thebearbeatsband"]http://www.reverbnation.com/thebearbeatsband[/url]. I play both upright and electric bass, but have been having some issues with sound at gigs. As we're an acoustic band we've done a lot of work fine tuning our full bands 'sonic spectrum', using timbre and dynamic heavily in our compositions; being an acoustic ensemble its been vitally important to fine tune the bass guitar to perfection, and we've just about nailed it :)

The problem is, we've tailored the sound using the tone and controls of the Trace 65w boxer amp I've been playing with (got it off here actually.. PERFECT for this band!) and it doesn't have a line out, though its been modded so that the speaker can be bypassed allowing me to put a DI in the gap and continue through the parallel out to the cone. Realistically it should always be mic'd (sounds so much better, sits better in the mix and its the the only part of my instrument that's really actually acoustic!) This is less of a problem as we're playing better gigs, but I want an option to DI as sometimes at certain gigs with difficult or less experienced soundpeople its just easier to sacrifice a bit of tone and go direct.

This shouldn't be a problem but the fact that its a post-amp DI is now making my life difficult at these gigs! I much prefer to run through the head or it throws the whole timbre and dynamic of the mix, but some sound people can't seem to deal with it. I know its not a real problem as I've done a BUNCH of gigs wired up this way with good soundmen and its sounded *beautiful* (in fact, I'll attach a live example!).

Basically, can anyone tell me if there's something or other I can do to the Post-amp signal so I can give it to an inexperienced or difficult sound man and it be as close to just giving them a regular DI as possible, but with the tone of the 65w head? Its a compromise, but at least it'll be the best of a bad situation!

Anyway cheers,
enjoy the vid
Oscar.

Edited by Oscar South

I've reworded the post slightly.

Fundamentally, I'm looking for some kind of gadget that can turn the signal that comes out of the back of my 65w head into something that literally any soundperson, trained, untrained, human, animal, plant, mineral, fossil.. (etc.) can easily deal with, and which also has a parallel line out to complete the connection between head and cone (or any other suggested solution to the problem).

We've even got a tech spec with our full details (and it doesn't seem that demanding to mic a small bass combo or run a line post-amp), but I've been given trouble enough times for it to have become a pet-peeve.

From what I can see the only outputs you have on the amp are the headphones socket on the front and the speaker on the back?

I'd try an [url="http://www.emosystems.co.uk/Products/Passive_Direct_Injection_Boxes.html"]EMO DI Box[/url] first on the headphones socket with the appropriate lead to take one channel only, and if that doesn't give a decent result, on the speaker socket.

One of those should give you the sound of the amp at an appropriate level for the PA.

A preamp output to a good passive DI is the most fool-proof solution I've found. If your amp has an effects loop, then just a good DI in the loop - it won't "do" anything but send your preamp signal to the desk.

Does that help??