Why become a member? ×

What do I need to DI my amp

Mzungu71

Good afternoon bass chatters,

Wondered if I could call on your collective wisdom as per what I might need to have handy for my stage set up when putting my amp through the PA.

Up to now I've been lucky enough to play places that have taken care of this for me.

I only use a small GP7 Trace Elliott combi amp.

It's fine for pubs and what have you which is where we usually play. It has a DI output on the front but in order to go from the DI into the desk and through the PA, what would I need to purchase, is it fine just to go straight into the desk or do i need some sort of interface?

I could perhaps buy a mic and stand, so if what would you recommend as a decent mic that's not going to break the bank?

I'm fairly green, only played a dozen or so gigs up to now so any help or advice very welcome, thanks

Gary

DI output > mixer will be fine provided it is an actual DI output.

For reference. Mic and stand? Kick drum mics are the best for micing Bass amps I find. Experiment with positioning of the mic for the best live sound, don't just plonk it in front and hope for the best. More trouble than it's worth live though, restrict it to the studio man.

Loads of people swear by a Shure SM 57 mixed with a DI'd signal, though how practical this is in a live situation I'm not sure. The Beta 57 is more directional (so should reject more background noise like drums and guitars) than the standard SM57, but is more costly. I've had good results with an AKG D112 (kick mic), but that was in the studio.

If you just want to run a DI lead out of the front of the amp then you'll just need an XLR lead. Nice and easy.

• 4 weeks later...