Why become a member? ×

Stingray laid bare

wal4string

I have an 05 Musicman Stingray black with a maple kneck, love all there is to love about a bass except the colour. Been in contact with Ernie and he says that the body material is Ash so was contemplating stripping the finish off to go natural.
Has anyone tried this with a musicman? and if so what was the grain like. I know mine is unlikely to be identical but I maybe about to open a can of worms so some advise would not go amiss.

I would prefer two blondes than a blonde and brunette.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1191996' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:12 PM']It may look somewhat like mine (which has a bit more figuring than some)...

.. or it could look quite plain.

But you do realise you will be knocking a couple of hundred quid of it's value.[/quote]

Not bothered about the loss in value. And I do realise the figuring may not be very good. Tried trading the two basses in the image above for a Natural Stingray, the Sandberg and Stingray, with hopefully a bit of cash my way to make up the shortfall in value, but as yet no takers.

Tell me what is the make of your Gig Bag? Not seen one like that.

[quote name='Duarte' post='1192049' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:56 PM']there's a thread on the EB forum at the moment from some guy who did the same to his SUB. The SUBs are made of poplar, but it still looks really nice.

I'd say go fer it![/quote]

Cheers for the info, will check it out.

They had an article in a mid 90's bass player magazine on the ernie ball factory, taking you through the production of a stingray. The body is made from two half's and the best grain's/ matched pair's were used for the natural finish basses. At a push after you've stripped it and the half's dont match or the grain's not great you could alway's do it a lighter colour.

[quote name='wal4string' post='1192172' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:48 PM']Not bothered about the loss in value. And I do realise the figuring may not be very good. Tried trading the two basses in the image above for a Natural Stingray, the Sandberg and Stingray, with hopefully a bit of cash my way to make up the shortfall in value, but as yet no takers.

Tell me what is the make of your Gig Bag? Not seen one like that.[/quote]
Sorry I don't know the make of it, there's no labels and I've never even seen another like it. I bought it a few years ago from a guy off here for the SUB I had at the time, then later on by chance bought my 'ray off the same guy, sold the SUB and kept the case for my 'ray. Later when I was looking up past owners of my 'ray I realised it was originally the case that went with my 'ray and I'd unwittingly reunited them. :)
It's a wicked case - incredibly light (I think it's constructed with some sort of dense polystyrene) yet totally strong.

You know the instant you hit it with sandpaper a natural one will come up on here. :)

btw I saw your 2 for 1 offer.
You'd have more success just going for a straight sawp - your black/maple/2eq (arguably the most popular combo ever) for a natural 'ray.
As it is you are limiting your options by trying to get someone to part with money and end up with potentially one bass they don't want/need.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1192253' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:01 PM']Sorry I don't know the make of it, there's no labels and I've never even seen another like it. I bought it a few years ago from a guy off here for the SUB I had at the time, then later on by chance bought my 'ray off the same guy, sold the SUB and kept the case for my 'ray. Later when I was looking up past owners of my 'ray I realised it was originally the case that went with my 'ray and I'd unwittingly reunited them. :)
It's a wicked case - incredibly light (I think it's constructed with some sort of dense polystyrene) yet totally strong.

You know the instant you hit it with sandpaper a natural one will come up on here. :)

btw I saw your 2 for 1 offer.
You'd have more success just going for a straight sawp - your black/maple/2eq (arguably the most popular combo ever) for a natural 'ray.
As it is you are limiting your options by trying to get someone to part with money and end up with potentially one bass they don't want/need.[/quote]

Cheers for the advice about my two for one offer, didn't even think of it in those terms have a a few offers for the Stingray but its cash I also need, if no offers by Monday I am planning to remove the post.
Cheers
Ron

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1192476' date='Apr 8 2011, 01:33 AM']If you're planning on taking it apart, can you show some pictures of the 2 side posts on the bridge. I have no idea of why they are there.

Or if anyone can answer that for me, id be grateful, as im not sure if those posts are massive screws, or simply decorative.[/quote]
Those anchor bolts you're on about screw down into threaded brass inserts - a sort of belt and braces approach to holding the bridge down... which afaic contribute to the illusive 'ray tone.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1192509' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:36 AM']I could take pics of my own if you'd like. What details do you need to know like?[/quote]
Just a couple pictures, like a picture of it out of the hole, next to the hole, the hole in the bridge for it, close up of the brass insert. Im just a curious fellow.

Don't do it, black to natural is possibly the hardest refin due to the amount of prep you need to get all the black off, all the sunken sealer, then finding out the hard way WHY the body blank went into the "spray these ones black" pile in the first place...
Wait for a blonde 'ray if you are that picky about colour.

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1192783' date='Apr 8 2011, 12:24 PM']Don't do it, black to natural is possibly the hardest refin due to the amount of prep you need to get all the black off, all the sunken sealer, then finding out the hard way WHY the body blank went into the "spray these ones black" pile in the first place...
Wait for a blonde 'ray if you are that picky about colour.[/quote]

+1. I'd recommend looking out for one in the colour you want, maybe a trade, or you might find you can pick one up for a good price, sell on your one and then be left with some beer tokens.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1192510' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:40 AM']Just a couple pictures, like a picture of it out of the hole, next to the hole, the hole in the bridge for it, close up of the brass insert. Im just a curious fellow.[/quote]
Here's mine with an anchor bolt removed - you can see down into the brass insert under the bridge.

And here is a stripped body of a SUB which shows the size of the holes involved (it may also be of interest to the OP as an example of what may lie beneath his solid finish)

Hope this helps. :)