Why become a member? ×

2x12s and 1x12s

ThomBassmonkey

I'm going to be getting a lightweight rig soon (it'll be GK Neo cabs and an MB head or two :) ) and I'm wondering if people gig comfortably using 2 1x12 cabs at medium rock venues.

The only thing making me consider 1x12s is that they're slightly smaller (not a lot, mind. 10 inches roughly in one dimension, the others are the same) so they're a bit more convenient for travelling. Weight and price doesn't bother me, I'm trying to get something lighter than my RBH410s so either are a massive improvement and money's not a factor in this choice.

My 2001RB-II and 2x410RBH stack isn't leaving me, it's just insanely heavy and pointless taking to practices and small gigs (even only taking half of it is a pain since I do most of my loading myself). So my new rig doesn't need to be a huge powerful rig, but preferably (for security) I'd like it to be capable of supporting it's self up to medium sized venues.

Though I guess if 2 1x12 cabs is enough, getting 2 2x12 cabs then potentially only using one when needed would be an even better option for saving space with still the same speaker area (I doubt GKs would struggle with the lower wattage at 8Ohms, even the MB200 at 140w would probably be enough to do small gigs with).

Ok, so I'm half talking to myself while I think things through, I would still like to hear peoples' experiences on using 2 12" speakers though, whether it's 2 1x12s or one 2x12s and of course comparing that to 2 2x12s. :)

Thanks!

I use Markbass 121p with 121NY cab - plenty loud enough for pubs, medium sized venues. We are a loud covers band (with sound issues we have now hopefully solved - guitarist eh? gotta love 'em) but the Bass sound was never an issue. The markbass stuff kicks out a shed load of mid range so theres never an issue with being heard - not sure how effective it is at making the earth shake compared to a larger rig but it's very light and has a small footprint. Also the vertical stacking arrangement of 2 12" is a plus for hearing yourself.

Martin

I decided to go with 2x12s in the end (I was expecting it to take longer to go through haha). I can't imagine a situation where a 2x12 would be too much and 1 2x12 is smaller than 2 1x12s if I was limited on room, so it kinda made more sense to me. It'd be nice to have a micro rig, but I don't feel I really need it.

Really looking forwards to getting some alone time with the MB Fusion!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1190560' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:51 PM']I decided to go with 2x12s in the end (I was expecting it to take longer to go through haha). I can't imagine a situation where a 2x12 would be too much and 1 2x12 is smaller than 2 1x12s if I was limited on room, so it kinda made more sense to me. It'd be nice to have a micro rig, but I don't feel I really need it.

Really looking forwards to getting some alone time with the MB Fusion![/quote]

I use the MB500 but had the fusion on loan for a couple of months.... really good head!! (oooer)

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' post='1190562' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:53 PM']I use the MB500 but had the fusion on loan for a couple of months.... really good head!! (oooer)[/quote]

Yeah, I was on the GK stand at LBGS and I was amazed by the MB range. I think I had the same ideas about them as most people do about micro heads. They're underpowered, they made to be small and light, not to sound good. Especially because the MB heads are so cheap.

They blew me away, I said then that I was going to get some MB and Neo gear. And here we are, I've just ordered. :) At some point I'm going to get an MB200. They're so convenient as a backup head and so cheap it'd be stupid not to.

The only 12s I`ve used were my in shall VBC 412. I do like 12s - they seem have slighly more grunt than 10s, but don`t get lost at the bottom of the mix as some 10s can. Less punchy than 10s though, however of course, I`m basing all of this on the 12s I`ve used, compared as well, to the 10s & 15s I`ve also used.

Gotta say tho, every time I`ve heard a Markbass 12 inch speaker I`ve been blown away by how well it sits within the mix of the band, and these do seem to have some extreme punch!

I use 2x GS112's and they are great........but, I've said this before, do not judge them by using a single GS as it frankly isn't worth it
for anything but a quiet jazzer or low key rehearsal. For anyone who is only used to one...you don't know what you are missing.
As much as I am a fan of 2 ...I would trash the single use of... it is chalk and cheese, IMV. A single can keep up with a loudish set-up but you lose so much as I discovered on a recent gig when a cab didn't work. I was chasing a sound all night whereas a pr will put away a medium size venue with a very very powerful drummer easily with a LOT of low end.

Just IME and my 2p

Here's another 2p! 2 DB112s (1 with a tweeter) and a markbass head is probably too violent at any volume for some of the stuff I play! I just did a small local theatre company at minimum volume and the floor was still vibrating noticeably. I've let a few pupils use the set-up at work and even with the typical 16 year old approach to drumming and letting the guitarist use a TSL half stack the 12s have no problem. I agree with the above, 1 is Ok but maybe as it's so close to the floor 2 is more than twice the pleasure.

Just to really nail my point with an unnecessary anecdote, I blagged a session with Paul McCartney's engineer of over a decade and he was all over them, loved them. Great results as well.

12s= 2'' better!