Why become a member? ×

Me and Acoustic Image Ten2

bassadder

Hi guys

Here's a youtube of me playing with The Claude Werner Quartet at Gateshead International Jazz Festival last Saturday (March 26th 2011) with my new Acoustic Image Ten2 I really love it

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xModdJ6xqI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xModdJ6xqI[/url]

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Laurence

Great playing!

Great sound!

... But feck me!... you look more like David Essex every time I see you lol!!!

Love ya man,

Scott.

[url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com"]http://www.scottsbasslessons.com[/url]
[url="http://www.scottdevinemusic.com"]http://www.scottdevinemusic.com[/url]

Hi Bilbo

Sorry I'm going bald and need to stop the gleam off my head.

The band is called the Claude Werner Quartet and were lucky enough to get an album deal at The Gateshead Jazz Festival which we'll be recording the next 6 weeks or so. The band personel are as follows:

Claude Werner Tenor Sax, Composer, Arranger, Jazz Educator and Author www.claudewerner.com he's from Chile but lived Boston USA through his teens studied in NYC and moved here from Barcelona
John Hirst Drummer, John did 4 years at Berklee and won the Steve Gadd award before winning drummer of tomorrow in 2007/08
Lloyd Wright studied at Newcastle College and has created a very individual voice on guitar, he did some workshops with Mike Stern a couple of weeks ago
Laurence Blackadder Double Bass, studied with lots of great teachers including Zoltan Dekany, Phil Palombi, Mark Hodgson, Phil Donkin, Ian Crawford, Alan Collins and Claude Werner.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Laurence

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1194928' date='Apr 10 2011, 07:07 PM']Lose the hats, guys, you're giving us jazzers a bad name.

Any biog details? Not heard of the band and I am interested to know who the players are.[/quote]

OOps sorry I used a friends login

Hi Bilbo

Sorry I'm going bald and need to stop the gleam off my head.

The band is called the Claude Werner Quartet and were lucky enough to get an album deal at The Gateshead Jazz Festival which we'll be recording the next 6 weeks or so. The band personel are as follows:

Claude Werner Tenor Sax, Composer, Arranger, Jazz Educator and Author www.claudewerner.com he's from Chile but lived in Boston USA through his teens studied in NYC and moved here from Barcelona
John Hirst Drummer, John did 4 years at Berklee and won the Steve Gadd award before winning drummer of tomorrow in 2007/08
Lloyd Wright studied at Newcastle College and has created a very individual voice on guitar, he did some workshops with Mike Stern a couple of weeks ago
Laurence Blackadder Double Bass, studied with lots of great teachers including Zoltan Dekany, Phil Palombi, Mark Hodgson, Phil Donkin, Ian Crawford, Alan Collins and Claude Werner.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Laurence

Hi Gareth

It's actually my Realist into the Ten2 then DI'd to the FOH. I had my DPA4099B on my bass but the sound engineer said he didn't have time to EQ a mic as it was pretty quick turn around.

While we are talking about live sounds what's the APT-FlexElectre like is better than the Realist.

Cheers

Laurence

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1195836' date='Apr 11 2011, 03:36 PM']Liking that a lot Laurence - nice playing from everyone. Digging the tone of your bass too - is that direct from the pickup? Couldn't see any mic's on your bass or amp.[/quote]

Hey Laurence -

Apologies for taking so long to reply, I forgot to check this thread.

I can only make a comparison of the AptFlex against the Realist based on the Realist that I had on my Eminence bass. I did try the Realist on a carved bass I had but they didn't work well together - a very muddy sound.

I prefer the AptFlex on my Eminence versus the Realist. I found that the AptFlex has a much clearer and even sound, especially in the lower mids/mids. With the Realist I was forever taking out low mids in a vain effort to brighten the sound. With the AptFlex I generally run everything flat now, with maybe a little bass boost around 80-120Hz.

The AptFlex is by far my favourite pickup for a full size bass. To be fair I'm now using a hybrid bass, which has helped immensely in reducing feedback, so the Realist might have faired better on this bass.

I'm playing through a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0/10T combo - and I do believe that this amp is as much responsible for how good everything is working for me now. That combo is surprisingly loud - and it can be heard very clearly, which I'm putting down to the reduced lowend that comes from having a smaller cabinet. On a jazz gig last week, where I was playing alongside a notoriously loud drummer, I brought along a 1x12 extension cabinet to help out. I had the master volume at about 3-4 and was thinking all through the gig 'yep, this is sounding good and doing everything it should, no need to tweak anything'. At the end of the gig when I went to pack everything up I found out that I hadn't even plugged in the extension cab. I was mightily impressed at that combo's ability to fill a room.

Back to the AptFlex: On my Eminence bass I find I have to use a preamp booster to raise the volume - something I don't have to do on the regular bass. I'm guessing that's down to the Eminence having a smaller body and not actually making that big of a sound to begin with.

One thing I discovered by accident is that the input impedance plays a big role in getting the best results. I know that's old hat, but I'd taken too many things as gospel without testing them for too many years. For instance - I'd always thought that the higher the input impedance the better - so for years I'd been using my Fishman Dual Parametric DI, with it's 10 MegOhm input - thinking that was the best thing to do. But I'd always struggled containing the lowend I got - eventually trying to use the Fishman EQ as a hi-pass filter. Something made me check out the impedance of the Boss TU-2 tuner I use - found out it's 1 MegOhm - as are all Boss pedals. I tried this on the APTflex and it cleaned up the lowend immensely without thinning out the sound. I'd also been using a Barge Concepts GLZ buffer/boost pedal as an impedance matcher - but found the same thing, it was letting through too much lowend.