Why become a member? ×

The Moondance Challenge

frank

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='1188786' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:30 AM']Now I can understand entirely why, on a jazz gig, some people (like Bilbo) would baulk at the idea of playing Moondance. The melody is very repetitive, the harmonic structure is simple, and jazzers tend to feel that the original VM recording was made by a bunch of non jazzers having a go at something vaguely jazzy.[/quote]
I think your latter comment hits the nail on the head. After all, you can't get a simpler harmonic structure than The Saints or A Tisket a Tasket.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1198791' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:10 PM']I recorded a practice session the other day and tried polishing the turd...I was making this up as I went along :) Better, worse or just different? You decide!,
WARNING! Its about 3x longer than the original!!![/quote]

Anything that makes Moondance last any longer is automatically worse :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1188182' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:32 PM']Isn't 'Van Morrison and smile' in the same sentence an oxymoron?[/quote]
Reminds me of a story a friend told me. One of his friends was in Soho square and spotted Van Morrison on a bench reading a newspaper. Not knowing any better, he went up to him & told Van how much he enjoyed his music and would he mind signing an autograph for him. Vans's response was to lower his newspaper, look the poor chap in the eye and snarl "F**k Off" then raise the newspaper :)