Why become a member? ×

orange ohm setting and cab use

lojo

I wish to use my new terror bass tonight, with 2 TC cabs, but was wondering if someone could help answer the following question

The Orange manual says use 2x8ohm with the amp set on 4ohm, one cab from each of the 2 outputs

The TC leads are very short, as they go from cab to next cab, so you cant reach both speakers with them direct from the amp, only the closest one

I assume that running it from one output to 1st cab then from 1st to 2nd cab would be incorrect use of the amp?

Is my only option to go and get a longer speakon cable ?

Silly Question I know, thanks for any help

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1185544' date='Apr 2 2011, 08:38 AM']I think that should be fine as the cbs are in paralell and its still a 4okm load, i dont see what difference it makes. For info i accidentally ran mine on a 4ohm load at 8 ohm setting for over an hour a while back and it was fine.[/quote]

Thanks, i guess that makes sense as a 4ohm cab would draw it all from one socket, so 2 x 8ohms chained of each other would effectively be the same as plugging in 1 x ohm

Am I right ?

Yes, two 8 ohm cabs daisy chained together will total 4 ohms. My TC Classic 450 only has one speaker output (4 ohms), so its the only way you can connect two 8 ohm cabs to it. I found this ohmage thing very confusing when starting out along these lines. I still don`t understand the majority of it, but there`s a wealth of information on here, and you`ll get all you need to run yr amp safely.

Gotta say though, may be worth getting a couple of speaker leads from Basschats very own OBBM, that way use each speaker output, plus not longer be too restricted by the length of your current leads:

[url="http://www.polglaze.com/bassic.html"]http://www.polglaze.com/bassic.html[/url]

Real quality leads, and not at all expensive. I don`t know what the TC leads are like, but OBBMs leads are amazing.

Cheers guys

I was just concerned that the Orange was wired in such a way that you had to use both sockets, 1 to drive each 8ohm cab, but its now clear it doesn't matter

I went through the whole of the late 80s and early 90s playing, without ever worrying about this stuff, why now then :) ?

Looking fwd to tonight, first gig with new orange amp