Why become a member? ×

Bass build kits?

scruffynerfherder

Scruffy... I have done a few mods and a few builds, myself and its great fun, because the end product is as you want it and different from anyone else. Usually when I do this I have already a clear idea as to where I want to get to with a particular build or mod, however you have not specified what do you want achieve, or at least a model to go by.

One thing is for sure, you will not find anywhere that you can walk in and buy a do it yourself kit in a box with body / neck pickups / frets and wiring looms / pots etc. You'll more than likely find unpainted bodies and necks sometimes even neck blanks without frets, or you can buy a cheapo bass like a Sue Ryder, or even one not so cheap but of decent quality like a Squier and mod it to your heart content with all the bits and bobs you desire, be it fancy exotic pickups, or pre painted necks from companies like Warmoth, Mighty Mite etc.

But you must at least have some idea as to what you want the bass to look and sound like.

Hi Scruffy,
If you fancy a Flying V or a SG type bass I can help you out with a set of plans, or you could go for the headless bass option. If you get an old bass with a decent neck then have the body modified to take the headless bridge, then you chop the necks head off and a little tweaking to have the strings threaded through your new headstock and down to your bridge with built in tuners.
Alright saying all this sounds easy its just a bit fiddly.
The plans I've got are for guitars but can be easily modified to bass guitar, if your interested or have further questions drop me a line.
Cheers ALAN

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1185263' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:07 PM']Scruffy... I have done a few mods and a few builds, myself and its great fun, because the end product is as you want it and different from anyone else. Usually when I do this I have already a clear idea as to where I want to get to with a particular build or mod, however you have not specified what do you want achieve, or at least a model to go by.

One thing is for sure, you will not find anywhere that you can walk in and buy a do it yourself kit in a box with body / neck pickups / frets and wiring looms / pots etc. You'll more than likely find unpainted bodies and necks sometimes even neck blanks without frets, or you can buy a cheapo bass like a Sue Ryder, or even one not so cheap but of decent quality like a Squier and mod it to your heart content with all the bits and bobs you desire, be it fancy exotic pickups, or pre painted necks from companies like Warmoth, Mighty Mite etc.

But you must at least have some idea as to what you want the bass to look and sound like.[/quote]

Basically im looking towards the p-bass shape i think.( And the whole unpainted body etc is what im after really) that way i get to build it up my way and do my own colour schemes etc. i want it to stand out so ive got some idea of paint colours etc BUT...i am open to suggestions and ideas from other users. Im looking around the net to see what i can find for a bit of inspiration.

[quote name='jimmy62alan' post='1185487' date='Apr 2 2011, 01:59 AM']Hi Scruffy,
If you fancy a Flying V or a SG type bass I can help you out with a set of plans, or you could go for the headless bass option. If you get an old bass with a decent neck then have the body modified to take the headless bridge, then you chop the necks head off and a little tweaking to have the strings threaded through your new headstock and down to your bridge with built in tuners.
Alright saying all this sounds easy its just a bit fiddly.
The plans I've got are for guitars but can be easily modified to bass guitar, if your interested or have further questions drop me a line.
Cheers ALAN[/quote]

Cheers man ill keep you in mind :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1185263' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:07 PM']One thing is for sure, you will not find anywhere that you can walk in and buy a do it yourself kit in a box with body / neck pickups / frets and wiring looms / pots etc.[/quote]

You mean something like [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitars/pid17650/cid560/build-your-own-bass-guitar-kit-classic-pb-style-complete-wall-parts.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping"]this[/url]? :)

The best quality I've found for an affordable self build is:
[url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/kits.asp"]http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/kits.asp[/url]

I've built a fretless P bass & tele guitar - both are comparable to my MIJ Fender Precision & tele in quality.

[attachment=76459:fretless_precision.jpg]

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1185635' date='Apr 2 2011, 10:41 AM']The Brandoni kits sound interesting, is that the original neck?[/quote]

Yep - I went to the warehouse & picked out the sunburst body & finished fretless neck with ebony board - there was an upcharge for this of course.

I didn't use all of the hardware that came with it as I had some Fender Hardware & eventually upgraded to hipshot lollypop tuners. The stock pickup I got as part of the kit appears to be a Kent Armstrong Alnico one - or something very similar which sounds very nice indeed. I was going to chuck in an 80s EMG, but liked the passive one so much and couldn't be bothered to route the body for a battery that I used the standard one.

My Tele was made using all the standard bits - although I paid a few extra quid to get a lacquered neck. I dyed & Danish Oiled the body. I can't post a pic as its out on extended loan to a mate who seems to like it a lot.

Brandoni's Fender style bodies & Necks were all Japanese-made when I bought mine (I can't tell the difference between the sunburst body of my fretless & the one on my 1990 MIJ '62RI Fender P except for the grain pattern). Not sure whether they are still selling MIJ ones, but my impression was that they had a huge number in stock.

i downloaded a template and had a play with some colour schemes on a p bass body.. ill admit some are a bit geeky as ive always been into my comic characters and stuff so forgive the nerdy nature of some of the ideas as im awarew they wont be to many peoples tastes.

Youve got a Venom based one, Captain america, and a couple of shall we say..bright ones. and ill concentrate on the actual hardware like the pickups etc after ive decided on cosmetics as i want something a bit more...me.

Also, my name is PJ hence the headstock pun :)

Edited by scruffynerfherder

Hmmm,
I would accumulate all the bits, make it, and then send it off to a professional to get finished. Painting and lacquering a bass is notoriously hard to get right until you've had a chance to have a few goes.
Personally, Captain America wins for me!
Get some gold hardware and it'll look the wick!

Truckstop

[quote name='hellothere' post='1185929' date='Apr 2 2011, 04:08 PM']Ah I assumed that was you in the pic. I don't understand this fascination people have with putting up pics of their girlfriend/partner/wife/favourite person to knock one out over.[/quote]

its preference. We beat hitler for our freedom to insert out own avatars. Lol