Why become a member? ×

Wooden pickup covers... Who makes them

JMT3781

Hey all

I'm wondering if anybody knows where I can find somebody who makes the wooden pickup covers?

I realise this normally is something manufacturers do, but I'd like one for my shucker single cut.

Do they normally get used in place of the normal plastic surrounds? Or do they go over the whole pickup?

Because I'd like a ramp on the bass too, I was wondering if someone could make me something that went over both pickups in like a single slab...

Any ideas?

Hi,

The problem you'll have is making a wooden pup cover that will fit into the route for the plastic pup. Generally wooden covers are bigger.
Normally the plastic cover is removed and a wooden one is made, just the inards of the pup go in (not the cover).
To get a wooden pick-up cover to fit you might have to re-route the hole for the pickup. This would be a tricky job and could go very wrong. You might be better to send it back to Shuker to get it done. Unless someone can make a pick-up cover that will fit in.

I don't think I've seen aftermarket wooden pickup covers.
There are a few companies around who make wooden pickups though.

[url="http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html"]Artec[/url] make some gorgeous looking ones but I don't know how good they are as pickups!

Jon made the pickup covers on mine so i'm sure he can do it for you!

I have Seymour Duncan pikups in my bass, a MM type and a 1/4 pounder jazz. The plasic surround of the jazz came off, but it doesn't on the MM pickup and so the wooden cover had to go around that. Making for a very large lump of wood. Good thing thats what i wanted!

But in both cases the route had to be bigger than normal, so there will likely need to be some with you too. Might as well let Jon do it! :)