Why become a member? ×

I've met another basschatter this morning

Grand Wazoo

I went to visit a neighbouring basschatter in Greenwich this morning and we compared his Super J 5 against my Super J/P 5, and I took along my Ashdown Drophead and some of the other basses, not all of them mind you, my car is not big enough.

Here is a slideshow, Jonny's bass is the black one. The other are mine, see if you can spot the odd one out :)

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/Dingwall%20Matinee/?albumview=slideshow"]http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt...mview=slideshow[/url]

[quote name='Machines' post='1182563' date='Mar 30 2011, 06:45 PM']A parallel fretted instrument ? Heresy ! :)

Great pics, looks like you had fun. What was the verdict ?[/quote]

Well they are very much like two different instruments, the Super J 5 really does sound like a bonafide jazz and my J/P 5 is more in the precision league so kinda like similar in looks but opposite in sounds personally I love mine but if I was flush I wouldn't mind owning Super J too. It really is a great sounding bass.
We had great fun swapping and comparing sounds that was the reason I took the 4 strings p bass along as a benchmark to see how faithful was the J/P sound to the real thing. In the end we both agreed that the Dingwall with the p bass pickup while played in passive mode is difficult to tell from a Fender if you were to listen to them blind folded

[quote name='daz' post='1182624' date='Mar 30 2011, 07:33 PM']Hmm GW? I do recall you saying that you were now a total convert to fanned fretts. So thats all you play now?

ps: goes without saying lovely basses.[/quote]

5 strings wise yes, but if we are talking 4 strings basses than that little red number works a treat (and I've got another 2 of them 4 stringers I keep stashed away)