Why become a member? ×

Mad Professor - Blueberry Bass Overdrive

harvey1-8

Anyone tried / heard the Mad Professor Blueberry Bass Overdrive? I'm interested to hear anyone's opinions or thoughts.

From the video on YouTube, it sounds like the pedal is in the Catalinbread SFT camp.

Here's a link: [url="http://www.tonefactor.com/mad-professor-blueberry-bass-overdrive.html"]Blueberry Bass Overdrive[/url]

And the youtube vid:

(Sorry if this has already been posted.... I did search.)

Just bought mine, it will be here in the next 10 days I suspect I'll let you know what I think.

I've never tried the BBBOD so I'll be judging this on it's own merits however I will have an SFT, Dredgetone Angler and Tone Factor Cream Pie to compare it to side by side.

So far I've been very unimpressed by the video clips I've heard.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1182259' date='Mar 30 2011, 01:28 PM']No, but then I don't need more headroom from it. I should really give it a go and pick up one of those voltage pumps[/quote]

Diago have them for sale even if their website says otherwise. I got an isolation adapter for the Freaker wah too, all running from the Johnnyshredfreak! Both adaptors come with right angled tips now too.

Ok, so sat at practice last night with the cream pie, bbbod, angler and SFT on a pt nano, it was a very very cool but point less board

Now I never tried the original BBBOD so I can't really comment how close they are. I'm just putting my thoughts out there on the bbbod as a new pedal.

Firstly, to me this is not low gain, not even close, with the nature and gain at zero it sounded very fuzz like to me, don't get me wrong a very nice dark fuzz and a sound I've never really gotten before but a Cream Pie it is not. There is no slightly gritty sound to me. It's a great gain sound with no low end loss and only compresses badly with an active with the gain cranked.

By far of the 3 od pedals the SFT is my fav with the cream pie (bearing in mind I never owned one with my current amp Matamp GT200) that really falls into dirty boost at best with me haing to use the volume to get gritty sounds over the gain.

So if I break it down
BBBOD vs CPD. If you were after a low gain tube with slightly gritty sound the CPD is the only way to go. The BBBOD is like buying a fuzz pedal to get this tone. just not going to happen or go get a Dod 250.
BBBOD vs SFT. SFT is capable of a bigger low end and a zingier high end with everything in between. Gain similar though they both nail bass distortion tones that make me want to groove and not riff like I'm a guitarist (if that makes sense)
BBBOD vs Angler. So different it's not even real, if you like one it's unlikely you'll like the other thou you could have them on the same board to do completely different sounds but they really do cover different ground and have very different characters.

What I'll be doing later today is pitting the BBBOD against my fuzz pedals and seeing where it sits, I do like it tonally but it's not low gain enough for my preferences, I have a chance to buy a Dark Driving which I may go for if that's the same character but capable of lower gain sounds.

Have to say I was very surprised at how much I liked the Angler, really cool pedal.

Will also try doing some clips tonight on my iPad with GarageBand so can't promise anything will sound good.

Currently:
Catalinbread SFT
Crowther Audio Prunes & Custard
Keeley Fuzz Head
Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket
Sansamp BDDI
SOVTEK (Green Russian) Big Muff
Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B
Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Zvex Fuzz Factory

Edited by harvey1-8

Yeah, I don't think you'd benefit from it, I'm seriously considering selling mine. I pitted it against the Subdecay Tomato Fuzz and I prefered the Subdecay.

Again that's not to say it's bad, it just depends on what you own and unfortunately given everything I own it's just redundant and I tend to let the new pedals go over replacing something I've had a while.