Why become a member? ×

How can you stay safe with trades?

chaypup

Hi all,

I've been offered a trade of a bass that I really want by a new BC member.
He has sent me pics which I've checked and they aren't from the internet.
The problem is that he is is Scotland so it's a bit far for me to pick up.
How can I cover myself in this trade, obviously I can't wait for money to clear or use paypal as I am sending a bass in return.
I was thinking of us both arranging the courier that picks up the bass we each are going to have, but this still leaves room for scammage.

FWIW I think the guy is genuine, but how can I be extra safe?

Thanks for any advice!

Do you know anyone (basschatter or otherwise) that can go around and have a look at his bass and make sure it's as described?

If there's a moderator close to you/the other person and they're prepared to do it, you could always ask him to send the bass to the moderator and offer to do the same, then once the basses are both together move on from there. Obviously don't be expecting 3rd parties to be organising couriers etc though.

I recently did a trade with a new member (I think his post on my for sale thread was one of his first 10 posts) and it went fine, the bass is really nice (though I'm moving it on since I'm not getting on with it) and he even offered to come to my place to do the trade (relatively local).

The distance thing is always an issue if you're not local and I don't like trading basses blind. I recently turned down a trade offer I was very interested in as I couldn't justify travelling a long way to try out an unusual bass, I trusted the seller so it's not quite the same, but the principal of if you're unsure about any part of the trade then walk away is the same.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1178919' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:35 PM']Hi all,

I've been offered a trade of a bass that I really want by a new BC member.
He has sent me pics which I've checked and they aren't from the internet.
The problem is that he is is Scotland so it's a bit far for me to pick up.
How can I cover myself in this trade, obviously I can't wait for money to clear or use paypal as I am sending a bass in return.
I was thinking of us both arranging the courier that picks up the bass we each are going to have, but this still leaves room for scammage.

FWIW I think the guy is genuine, but how can I be extra safe?

Thanks for any advice![/quote]

where in Scotland?

there's a good few BCers around here that *might* be able to help out a bit.

it's always a bit tricky when it's someone without a track record...

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1178981' date='Mar 27 2011, 11:22 PM']Why is Scotland too far ?

You'd be amazed how cheap the trains can be. I traded a bass earlier in the year with a guy in Scotland. I don't like posting basses, neither does he. So we agreed that I'd travel up, we split my train fare which was about £80.[/quote]

Cheapest train - £170. I'd have to stay overnight too.
If it was in the summer I'd take time off and make a week of it but at the moment that's not really an option. Thanks for the advice though.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1178989' date='Mar 27 2011, 11:35 PM']Cheapest train - £170. I'd have to stay overnight too.
If it was in the summer I'd take time off and make a week of it but at the moment that's not really an option. Thanks for the advice though.[/quote]

Does the other basschatter have a feedback thread? Or maybe ask to see if he/she has en eBay account with feedback?