Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gherson 70's Jazz

Happy Jack

Odd one this. A 1970's Jazz by Italian firm Gherson which has been much buggered-about over the last 40 or so years.

More pics at [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2ifwh/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2ifwh/3[/url]

It has the wrong pickups in the wrong positions, and a bizarre oval chunk of scratchplate to hide what I can only assume is some awful routing.

That said, and strangely enough, it actually works really well. It shouldn't do, of course, but there you have it. It sounds and plays like a "proper" Jazz, only with added neckdive. Why?

Well, I bought it because it has one near-unique feature ... it weighs 7lbs. Yup, seven pounds. It's comfortably the lightest Jazz bass I've ever picked up. All that weight seems to have been saved from the body, so you need a broad, grippy strap to keep it in place on your shoulder.

If you like Jazz basses, but can't live with >10lb weights any more, this could be the solution.

Currently strung with whatever were on there when it arrived. Nothing works exactly as the maker intended, but it all seems to work out in the end.

Weighs (with strap) dead on 7lbs.

[size=4][b][s]£150[/s] £120 ono
[/b][/size]

DESCRIPTIONS

I don't do the whole describe-the-neck thing, and tell you what it feels like or how "fast" it is (does that help when you play a song by J.J. Cale?).

I don't tell you how low my action is. I don't slap or tap, so there's no point asking me. All my basses are set up for reasonably robust finger-style playing. If you want to know the sort of music I choose to play, check out the Band link in my sig.

If my description didn't mention a problem, then there isn't one (IMHO).

All that said, obviously you should always try before you buy if at all possible. If you can't do that yourself, then I'm perfectly happy for you to ask a knowledgeable friend to come round and check a bass out on your behalf.

OFFERS

There's not a lot of cash out there and (given that I am not looking for trades at all) I am prepared to entertain offers ... in fact some offers can be quite entertaining. :)

DELIVERY

This bass will be supplied with a cheap gig bag. It can be tested in and/or collected from London, either in Chiswick W4 or the West End WC1.

I can post if I really have to, but I greatly prefer to do business face to face. If I'm posting, then I use my firm's courier - they are very reliable but they are NOT cheap.

No, I will not queue up at the Post Office with a bass. No, I will not use DelBoy's ultra-cheap delivery service. No, I will not wait in at home all day in case your chosen courier decides to put in an appearance. Bin there, dun that. :)

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='jacethebass' post='1181711' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:55 PM']Gah she is beautiful!

Just out of interest any ideas on cost of postage?[/quote]

Depends where you are, I guess!

Relatively light parcel (lightweight bass in a gigbag) to somewhere in the UK, maybe £20.

• 3 months later...