Why become a member? ×

Help! What happened to my pickup blend pot?

dannybuoy

I've just changed the neck pickup in my Yamaha Fretless for a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder, and it's the first time I've messed with my bass's electronics. Everything seemed to go ok but I have a small problem. The central pot is a pickup blend, fully clockwise selects the neck pup, fully anti-clockwise solos the bridge. If I have it fully on the neck pup then back it off a tiny bit, I get a crackle and the sound drops out; turn it back a bit more and the sound comes back. It's like there's a small dead zone in the pot. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse and start kicking in when the neck pickup is soloed, otherwise I'm in trouble!

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm thinking maybe heat damage could've caused it?

I might have to replace the pot, although I'm gonna have to buy a cheap backup bass first! Any help or advice appreciated...

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='134000' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:32 PM']I've just changed the neck pickup in my Yamaha Fretless for a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder, and it's the first time I've messed with my bass's electronics. Everything seemed to go ok but I have a small problem. The central pot is a pickup blend, fully clockwise selects the neck pup, fully anti-clockwise solos the bridge. If I have it fully on the neck pup then back it off a tiny bit, I get a crackle and the sound drops out; turn it back a bit more and the sound comes back. It's like there's a small dead zone in the pot. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse and start kicking in when the neck pickup is soloed, otherwise I'm in trouble!

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm thinking maybe heat damage could've caused it?

I might have to replace the pot, although I'm gonna have to buy a cheap backup bass first! Any help or advice appreciated...[/quote]

Passive or active bass? WD Music do blend pots, about £7/8 for the pot. phone 01233 820082. Posting is usually a day or two.
Maybe heat has kernackered the pot but I think these "double gang" pots can be a bit more prone to problems seeing as they are two pots in one. I have just put in a new blend pot for a bass and it didn't let the signal through from the bridge pickup. I am sure the least amount of heat was used to make a good solder point but I have had occasional pots that misbehave.