Why become a member? ×

Status Hotwires: "half wound" strings, on a P-bass

mcnach

I recently bought a set of Status Hotwires, and I went for the "half wound" set (also a flatwound set, but I haven't installed that one yet). The reason I got these was that I vaguely remember trying them ages ago, and recent discussions here seemed to agree with my memory: they are "flatwoundish" in character, but noticeably brighter, although not quite as much as rounds.

I took the set and start changing strings, first E... hmm, first impression, even as I install it is that it's very dull. It's straight flatwound dull. Same on A, and D... but when I reach the G... "zing"... yep, that's more the sound I remember. It has that flatwound type of sound, but it's quite bright. The G-string is much brighter than the otehrs and it almost feels that it doesn't belong in the set.

Before I contact Status about this... have you tried these strings? Have you noticed the G string being a lot brighter than the other three? Is my memory of "half wound" Status Hotwires being distinct from flatwounds, especially fresh, a case of "misremembering"?

They sound good... just not what I was after for this bass. :)

Never been much of a fan of halfs or ground wounds, I've always found them a bit on the bright side full stop. Can't help you regarding the weird G but if it's any help I've just fitted Status flats on my Ray Fretless and they are certainly brighter than Chromes (but the lower tension is much more to my liking). I've had them on a week and they are playing in nicely though and already losing some of the zing.

Give Rob/Dawn a email, sure they'll comment and replace the G if it's a rogue.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1175299' date='Mar 24 2011, 09:54 PM']Give Rob/Dawn a email, sure they'll comment and replace the G if it's a rogue.[/quote]

well, what I was wondering is not whether the G is a rogue.. but the E, A and D! They are the ones lacking the brightness I expected and the G has that.

I had already been exchanging emails, as my order never arrived - it turned out the address label had been ripped in transit and they eventually made their way back to Status - so I will write to them again... just wanted to see whether anybody has experience of these strings and either verify my memory of what these strings are supposed to sound like, or instead confirm I'm remembering the wrong thing and yes they're dull just like flats.

Edited by mcnach

I find they have a very strong fundamental but not many overtones, they sound great on a (Status) phenolic board but are a bit too dark on a wooden board for my tastes. I've not tried them on a fretted bass though.

They should sound pretty balanced as a set unless you specified an unusual guage G, I'm sure Dawn will sort you out a suitable replacement.