Why become a member? ×

Guitar's An Unnatural Pain

cytania

This is a carpal tunnel post. For the last year or so I've recognised the tell-tale pain and worked on my technique with the bass.

Good news is that I am able to practice daily and rehearse/gig with the band no problem. I keep my right arm off the body of the bass and don't kink my wrist over the bout.

Bad news is I can't play ordinary acoustic guitar without provoking my forearm. It seems to be the higher position needed and the strumming/fingerpicking action. Very soon find myself longing for two finger bass playing.

Any thoughts, or am I over the bass 'event horizon' never to return to other instruments?

Re. carpal tunnel syndrome: the surgery to release the compression takes about fifteen minutes, is often done under local anaesthetic, works very well, and doesn't take long to recover from. In fact, keeping the fingers active is part of the recovery.

Obviously I'm in no position to make comment on the OP's condition, but I've seen carpal tunnel syndrome mentioned a few times in the couple of months I've been here on Basschat. Mrs H has had both of hers operated on with great success (cue handjob jokes: go on, get it over with*... :) )

*There's one!

you should definitely see your doc if you haven't been already, he'll be able to do a couple of quick tests to make an accurate diagnosis and either treat you or tell you what you should/shouldn't do etc.

be sure to mention you are a muso - can impact upon decisions :)

I've had it a couple of times, last time it was so bad that I actually couldn't move my right hand at all without being in agony.

The doc mentioned the op then, apparently it's generally safe, but it's one of the things where if it goes wrong, it can really screw things up. I opted just to work on it myself a bit, do some gentle physio at home as the doc ordered. It's fine now, never bothers me. Think long and hard before you go for the operation if you're leaning that way.