Why become a member? ×

Anyone looking to move on a DPA 4099B mic?

Clarky

I was bowled over the sound clips of this (so much more organic/earthy and, well, double bass-y than a straight piezo pickup) but the cost of a new one is a pretty painful £370. So I was wondering if any of you DB'ers are looking to move one on? Cheers Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172389' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:13 PM']I was bowled over the sound clips of this (so much more organic/earthy and, well, double bass-y than a straight piezo pickup) but the cost of a new one is a pretty painful £370. So I was wondering if any of you DB'ers are looking to move one on? Cheers Clarky[/quote]

I tried one, great piece of kit but certainly not immune to feedback, and given how many people you have on a (often small) stage with you Clarky mate, and given also how loud you need to be, I'd stick with what you've got. I gave up with mics live unless it's a quiet gig or a very big stage, on which I can really control what goes into my mic and where I'm positioned in relation to monitors. Even then I have the neck PUP as back up to switch to if things start getting rumbly or squeely :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172389' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:13 PM']I was bowled over the sound clips of this (so much more organic/earthy and, well, double bass-y than a straight piezo pickup) but the cost of a new one is a pretty painful £370. So I was wondering if any of you DB'ers are looking to move one on? Cheers Clarky[/quote]

And remember that on the soundclip it was probably going through an equally costly preamp :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1172407' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:28 PM']I tried one, great piece of kit but certainly not immune to feedback, and given how many people you have on a (often small) stage with you Clarky mate, and given also how loud you need to be, I'd stick with what you've got. I gave up with mics live unless it's a quiet gig or a very big stage, on which I can really control what goes into my mic and where I'm positioned in relation to monitors. Even then I have the neck PUP as back up to switch to if things start getting rumbly or squeely :)[/quote]
We are starting to get bigger gigs (Upton Blues Festival, festivals in Meadowlands and Portugal potentially) and for cramped gigs I use the Eminence EUB but I hear what you say Chris. Maybe I need to do some more reading up on this.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172419' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:36 PM']We are starting to get bigger gigs (Upton Blues Festival, festivals in Meadowlands and Portugal potentially) and for cramped gigs I use the Eminence EUB but I hear what you say Chris. Maybe I need to do some more reading up on this.[/quote]

In my experience most soundguys won't thank you for turning up with a mic for the sort of gigs you're doing mate (and great to hear your doing some big ones BTW, can't wait to catch you live soon). Using a mic in either very controlled conditions or for certain styles of music/venue (as well as for recording) is of course perfect for DB, it allows the whole instrument to sound, as opposed to simply transmitting certain components of the instrument (e.g., bridge or strings). As you've noted above, it's therefore easy to hear substantial differences in quality of tone between mics and PUPs, especially when they're recorded in isolation. However, ask yourself whether, in the melee of your band's sound, a mic is worth the likely trouble compared to a decent PUP?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1172433' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:51 PM']In my experience most soundguys won't thank you for turning up with a mic for the sort of gigs you're doing mate...[/quote]

Or they'll just make a complete cock-up of it as happened to me more than once :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1172433' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:51 PM']ask yourself whether, in the melee of your band's sound, a mic is worth the likely trouble compared to a decent PUP?[/quote]
fair point but I do find that the Realist on my Eminence and the Shadow on my DB sound somewhat electric bass-y (to my ears at least) when amplified loud ... and both of those come pretty highly recommended. So is there a PUP that comes closer to that organic/earthy/buzzy sound a mic gets?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172437' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:55 PM']fair point but I do find that the Realist on my Eminence and the Shadow on my DB sound somewhat electric bass-y (to my ears at least) when amplified loud ... and both of those come pretty highly recommended. So is there a PUP that comes closer to that organic/earthy/buzzy sound a mic gets?[/quote]

I had to try eight different PUPs before I found one that worked on mine. You can try one of my Underwoods or KAs if you want?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1172441' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:57 PM']I had to try eight different PUPs before I found one that worked on mine. You can try one of my Underwoods or KAs if you want?[/quote]
Thanks for the offer Chris. I think I will do some more reading on pickups too first though! I am a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to these things (well lots of other things too). The Eminence comes with the Realist pre-installed, its more the DB itself I want to think about.

Meanwhile Chris, take a listen to the tone of the DB in the link I posted yesterday (The Wood Brothers) - just wow!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172450' date='Mar 22 2011, 07:03 PM']Thanks for the offer Chris. I think I will do some more reading on pickups too first though! I am a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to these things (well lots of other things too). The Eminence comes with the Realist pre-installed, its more the DB itself I want to think about.

Meanwhile Chris, take a listen to the tone of the DB in the link I posted yesterday (The Wood Brothers) - just wow![/quote]

You and me both on the ignoramus front mate!

Re the clip, will do mate, cheers

C

A lot of the time, rigging for a mic can be a right pain and I go for a plug in and play option with a pickup. But just occasionally when all goes well a DPA can give you a wow moment and you get the most amazing sound. So I wait for a gig in a largish room with a sizeable stage and look forward to taking the mic along. I always have some backline coming off an Underwood to give some bottom and bite on the stage. If there's no front of house available I'll use my QSC powered speaker on a pole. So my advice is, for the best sound consider a mic - but don't expect to use it all the time.

Incidentally I have, ahem, a few basses and I'm finding that even with the same pickup and amp each one works best with its own preferred speaker(s), be it 1x10, 2x10, 1x12 or even 10+12. Factor in the room acoustics and you'll find that it's difficult to make any one definitive recomendation.

I have decided to suspend this search for now as I have been advised by a few DB-playing BC'ers that a mic would not work well in my band as it would pick up too much of the other musicians (there's 14 of us, including three vocals, guitar(s), drums, souzaphone and full brass). Instead I am buying an upgraded pickup (an ATPflex Electret [url="http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/pickups_e.html)"]http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/pickups_e.html)[/url]