Why become a member? ×

Fake Fenders...'swhere the money is!

iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='1171731' date='Mar 22 2011, 08:30 AM']me too....and when buying blind, even harder[/quote]I can't get my head around why ANYONE would buy blind for the amounts of money involved.

It's like spending 4k on a car that you had only seen and having the seller drop it off outside your house and pop the keys through your letter box. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1172541' date='Mar 22 2011, 08:18 PM']I bought a fake. There was a thread about it at the time. I saw a CIJ Fender P-bass online for £350 that looked believable. It was £25 for Parcel Force 24 delivery and when it arrived 8 days later it had been sent Parcel Force 48. The second I opened it I realised I had a rebadged Squier VM bass. The seller was a complete fraud about it and suddenly it was being sold on behalf of somebody else etc, they knew nothing about guitars etc.

EBay to their credit (& this was pre-credit crunch so they don't offer this service now) refunded me, banned the seller and let me keep the bass. I sold it on as a rebadged Squier (on here as it happens). It was actually a nice bass but I couldn't really keep it after all that. Interestingly EBay didn't seem that interested at first until I mentioned the postage being 48hr when I paid 24hr - then suddenly all my comments on Tuning pegs, neck finish and volume knobs were completely believed. I had to check about 4 times that they were happy for a refund AND for me to keep it. As I said, it's not a service they've offered since. Must have cost a fortune.[/quote]

...I've never had cause to complain to fleabay.....in a nutshell what [b]can they/will do [/b]about something like this nowadays?

[quote name='silddx' post='1172174' date='Mar 22 2011, 03:06 PM']Wot, even a Ibanez?[/quote]

Yep, even an Ibanez! :)

Anything from their Classic period - 70's to mid 80's.

Again, slightly off topic - I have 3 USA Fenders, the oldest being a '72 Jazz.

I have loads of Ibanez, Aria, Peavey etc and have never been concerned or worried
that I have a fake.

I do understand the "living, breathing" thing - some instruments just seem to have
that extra something but they don't have to be 40 years old, start with "F" "G" "R" etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love my '72 Jazz but I also have many sub £200, 25 to 40 year
old instruments that have that extra something.

Talking of fake Fender P, here is something that is definately a fake - a Copy but has
the "extra something" feeling and the "Ibanez" Blazers that are shown below it, will
give any Fender Precision a run for it's money.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/10/hondo-professional.html"]Hondo Pro Precision.[/url]

I like the post that Musky has put up - lots of signature clues to check out.
Your average punter, I'm afraid, is going to get fleeced, if they are not fully clued up.

Yes, even an Ibanez! :)

Cheers. :lol:

I'd be just as worried over buying a fake 'vintage' amp, what with all the hullabaloo over a [i]faking factory[/i] that supposedly was in action for [i]two decades[/i] in the cellar of an (in)famous London music shop, and the looming court case.

Edited by daz

[quote name='RhysP' post='1172504' date='Mar 22 2011, 07:50 PM']The large majority of vintage guitars sold in the USA over the last 15 years haven't been bought by musicians, they've been bought by non-players with high salary jobs.

Most of the really desirable Fenders & Gibsons are out of the price range of your average player, and the crap you couldn't give away 20 years ago is heading that way too.[/quote]

Kind of back to my original points then; buying a piece of history. High 'non-playing' earners would, I guess, buy them as ornaments/showpieces. I very much doubt that high earners would be buying £5k, £7k, £10k+ mass produced vintage instruments purely as investments. There are far more lucrative ways to invest money than on a fairly unpredictable market that is, for the most part, based on fashion. I know there's a big market in 'breaking' them for parts though...

[quote name='silddx' post='1171931' date='Mar 22 2011, 11:35 AM']Talk to this man.

[url="http://www.andybaxterbass.com/guitars.php"]http://www.andybaxterbass.com/[/url][/quote]
Cheers, an interesting site!

I was a little surprised at how expensive some of the 70s stuff was but equally, some of the older fenders were actually a bit less than I would have imagined…..