Why become a member? ×

Changing a pickguard on a Fender Jazz

deaky

Hi all

Just looking for a quick bit of advice.

Iam gonna change the pickguard on my Geddy Lee Jazz and just wondered if its just a simple case of taking the screws out and screwing the new one or is it not that easy?

I have never done this before and thought better be safe than sorry. Especially cause I love my GL :)

Thnaks to all

Stuart

[quote name='deaky' post='1171292' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:52 PM']I am gonna change the pickguard on my Geddy Lee Jazz and just wondered if its just a simple case of taking the screws out and screwing the new one or is it not that easy?[/quote]

More or less.

The screw holes might not line up so you may have to drill some new ones in the body (the old ones will be hidden under the scratchplate so not a big deal).

You might have to do a little scratchplate sandpapering in the cutout for the neck - they're sometimes a bit too snug.

[quote name='deaky' post='1171329' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:12 PM']Well I ordered a Geddy Lee pickguard specifically whiich I had to wait about 4 weeks on so I am hoping not to drill holes in anything. I wouldnt be keen at all doing that.[/quote]

Well if it's a specific one you've got a good chance of it fitting pretty well. :)

One thing to note though, when you're screwing the new pickguard on, don't tighten the screws fully until you've got the last one in - you might be thankful of a little bit of 'slack' to allow for any tiny inaccuracies in the manufacturing process.

Edited by icastle