Why become a member? ×

SWR Goliath II 4x10 pre-Fender early 90s

UncleMeat

Early model classic SWR Goliath II 4x10.
Diamond shaped grille.
8ohms, 500 watts.
Rear ported. Tweeter.

I'm sure most of you know the deal with the early SWR gear.
Accurate, clean and punchy as hell.

Pretty heavy compared to modern light-weight stuff, but thanks to the near square shape of the cab it's pretty easy to pick up and move around.

Grille is in tip-top condition. SWR badge has some scratches. Drivers and tweeter in perfect order and all original. Carpet covering has slight wear only.
Nothing that betrays it's age - nearly 20 years old!

Broken down car forces very reluctant sale - I have several SWR cabs and simply use the 4ohm cab more often than this, so it has to go.

Due to the car situation I am unable to deliver, and will not post it, so buyer must collect.
I am located in Peterborough.

I would like £275 ideally but open to offers.

Will be going on ebay if no interest here.

Thanks very much for looking.

Edited by UncleMeat

I had the pleasure of playing through one of these cabs on a wedding gig in St. Tropez last spring- was driving it with a G-K 800RB also brought in by the local PA hire company... very impressed indeed! I'm pretty sure that Jim Bergantino had a hand in the design of these at the time, so I'm not surprised that they sound great! An absolute bargain at that price too... :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='1170137' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:15 PM']I had the pleasure of playing through one of these cabs on a wedding gig in St. Tropez last spring- was driving it with a G-K 800RB also brought in by the local PA hire company... very impressed indeed! I'm pretty sure that Jim Bergantino had a hand in the design of these at the time, so I'm not surprised that they sound great! An absolute bargain at that price too... :)[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words guys, it is a bargain, and I wish I didnae have to sell it!
Bump.

[quote name='UncleMeat' post='1170489' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:21 AM']The cab is now sold pending the usual payment/collection.
Thanks a lot folks.[/quote]

Thanks a lot to voxpop, collected the amp today. Lovely guy, pleasure doing business with you, hope you enjoy the cab.

[quote name='UncleMeat' post='1174631' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:51 PM']Thanks a lot to voxpop, collected the amp today. Lovely guy, pleasure doing business with you, hope you enjoy the cab.[/quote]

Thanks....

Just lifted it out of the car after a 3 hour drive.... God it's heavy.

Can't wait to fire it up with the headlite amp tonight....after a bit of tea.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1175016' date='Mar 24 2011, 06:09 PM']There is a fuse in there, IIRC...[/quote]

Found the fuse holder...... There was a blown car bulb acting as a fuse ???

Tweeter still does not work after changing the car bulb for a proper fuse. :)

[quote name='voxpop' post='1175056' date='Mar 24 2011, 06:47 PM']Found the fuse holder...... There was a blown car bulb acting as a fuse ???

Tweeter still does not work after changing the car bulb for a proper fuse. :)[/quote]

Car bulb?? I've never had need to go inside it so didn't know this.
I'm shocked, and a little embarrassed, for the tweeter not to be working. I haven't used it for a while, and will admit do not have the tweeter on a high setting - too sizzly for me. It was however, fine on last use.
If you continue to have problems give me a ring, and I will order you a new one.

[quote name='UncleMeat' post='1175168' date='Mar 24 2011, 08:13 PM']Car bulb?? I've never had need to go inside it so didn't know this.
I'm shocked, and a little embarrassed, for the tweeter not to be working. I haven't used it for a while, and will admit do not have the tweeter on a high setting - too sizzly for me. It was however, fine on last use.
If you continue to have problems give me a ring, and I will order you a new one.[/quote]

News update.........

I installed a new fuse and played with the wiring and the tweeter came on. Wow .... what a deep and hifi sound. :)

Love the sound from this cab.............. dont like the weight, my poor back is still hurting....... no pain no gain. :)

I'm very glad it is sounding as it should now (as genuinely never any problems for me), and yes, what a sound!

As for the weight - there is an easy way to lug it - use the handles to pick it up (bend your knees!), then hitch it up onto your chest, move your dominant hand underneath it keep the other on the handle. The square shape makes it easy to do this. If you lift it up high to move it doesn't seem as heavy and you won't destroy your back.

Great cabs..if you can be arsed to move them! The tweeter protection is indeed a car bulb - Eden did the same thing for years. Actually, I seem to remember that Eden built the early Goliaths for SWR..but don't know when they stopped (version I or II?).

I'm glad that this one was so far away, or I would have had to buy it just to fulfill my lifelong desire to do at least one gig with a pair of them. Wouldn't go down well in the small restaurant I played in last night.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1175553' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:52 AM']Great cabs..if you can be arsed to move them! The tweeter protection is indeed a car bulb - Eden did the same thing for years. Actually, I seem to remember that Eden built the early Goliaths for SWR..but don't know when they stopped (version I or II?).

I'm glad that this one was so far away, or I would have had to buy it just to fulfill my lifelong desire to do at least one gig with a pair of them. Wouldn't go down well in the small restaurant I played in last night.[/quote]

The car bulb thing makes sense, easy to get hold of and will work. I will have a look at this again at the weekend, the fuse I put in might not be powerful enough. Any idea of the correct fuse rating???????

Next on my shopping list is the 2 x 10 Goliath II ......... should make a great 6x 10 set up with the headlite.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1175615' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:23 AM']I've got a spare somewhere that I've never used, I'll see if I can find it. Would a photo help..or have you still got the original? Also. may be on the SWR site in their "vintage products" section....[/quote]

Photo please... :)

As far as I know Eden only made the cloth grille Goliath I. Didnt know of the usage of bulbs for fuses though - cool!

Voxpop - give Alex at the Bass Gallery (Camden) a ring, I was there a few weeks ago to put a deposit down on a Warwick Dolphin and he had a diamond grille 2x10 in mint mint mint condition. Don't know of it was 4 or 8 ohm however.

Bassbod - I have two square grille (hammered finish) Goliath II 4x10, both 4 ohm. I use these with my SWR Bass 350 (red face). It really is awesome, and that amp will run at 2 ohms all day!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1176095' date='Mar 25 2011, 04:10 PM']You could get me in a lot of trouble! A Redface 350? Is it in really good condition, by any chance???? I've got this SWR power amp see.........[/quote]

Externally it looks a bit rough, lots of scratches and paint chips as it has been toured/gigged extensively since I bought it in 2003. It's a 1994 or 1996, can't remember without looking inside. Internally it is spot on. I would never sell that amp for anything that anyone would want to pay. I might think about it for a grand cash so I could order a Matamp GT200 , but the answer would still probably be no, and let's face it no one would want to be pay a grand for it.

To MY ears I've never heard a hybrid or solid state bass amp that comes anywhere near it (admittedly not heard em all, but I have tried lots), and that includes the modern SWR stuff (borrowed a mates 750x to compare, and it was found wanting to say the least, and didn't sound much louder despite over twice the wattage). It is also elegantly simple, and has no more controls than it needs.

Last year it got dropped from a height of about 4 feet straight to the floor. It was in a cheap rack case at the time, which was destroyed. The amp itself required a new 12AX7 and was then good to go. Amazing.

I seem to recall the bulb lighting up and was a feature of these early cabs.
Not sure about the rating though.

IMO, the Goliath cabs were the best cabs SWR made and the ll series, rear ported the best of that lot.

Now, if I can find me a 610 Snr :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1176251' date='Mar 25 2011, 05:59 PM']I seem to recall the bulb lighting up and was a feature of these early cabs.
Not sure about the rating though.

IMO, the Goliath cabs were the best cabs SWR made and the ll series, rear ported the best of that lot.

Now, if I can find me a 610 Snr :)[/quote]

That's interesting - I thought the older diamond grille II with the rear port was better than the later front slot port too, but I kept the later ones!!