Why become a member? ×

Speakers

Mikeg

I am now in possesion of a homemade 2x10 cab (originaly for guitar). Im looking for some speakers for under 100 pounds.On ebay there's quite a few emminence and celestions. I'm a complete noob when it comes to things like this so any help would be greatly apreciated.
Cheers :)

Every manufacturer makes lots of different models and they all sound different! Most 2x10" guitar cabs will be too small to work well for bass but with some high Qts (>0.5) and low-ish Fs (<60Hz) drivers with reasonable Xmax (>3mm) and plenty of stuffing it shouldn't be too bad for lower volume use.

I'd be wary of putting good money after bad here. It's all in the design with speakers and the cabinet is a crucial part of that.

If you capable of cutting up and glueing plywood have a look at some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs at www.billfitzmaurice.com.

Bill's also a regular contributor on here. For £100 you may be able to get a Jack12 (DIY) although the price of imported drivers and plywood has gone up a lot lately.

[quote name='thinman' post='1169916' date='Mar 20 2011, 08:04 PM']I'd be wary of putting good money after bad here. It's all in the design with speakers and the cabinet is a crucial part of that.

If you capable of cutting up and glueing plywood have a look at some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs at www.billfitzmaurice.com.

Bill's also a regular contributor on here. For £100 you may be able to get a Jack12 (DIY) although the price of imported drivers and plywood has gone up a lot lately.[/quote]

+1

If you're wanting a cab for bass then you need a cab designed for bass. Guitar cabs are designed for guitars and not bass guitars. A BFM Jack 12 can be built on a budget and will give very impressive results. I always seem to prefer the end result when using eminence drivers over celestions but that's just me.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1170038' date='Mar 20 2011, 09:10 PM']+1

If you're wanting a cab for bass then you need a cab designed for bass. Guitar cabs are designed for guitars and not bass guitars. A BFM Jack 12 can be built on a budget and will give very impressive results. I always seem to prefer the end result when using eminence drivers over celestions but that's just me.[/quote]

The Eminence drivers are probably cheaper for equivalent quality than the Celestions. However, today I've been playing with Celestion NTR10-2520Ds and they are very impressive to my ears, much smoother than the equivalent Eminence Deltalite IIs and very tight more controlled bass. I'd be tempted to go with Mr Foxon's suggestion though and if the internal dimensions are suitable, build one quarter of an SVT! If there are ports on the cab, you might be safest blocking them up with wood, get it airtight.