Why become a member? ×

Squier tuners

gary mac

I'm planning on removing the silly little tuners on my squier neck and replacing with proper man size ones.

Before I get cracking with sand paper and drill bits is there any reason not to do it? What I mean is, is there a reason other than cost for the little tuners?

[attachment=75124:020.JPG]

The holes will need opening out a fair bit as the shaft is a much smaller diameter than standard tuners.

I suppose the other option would be a replacement that looks more traditional but has the smaller shaft, is such a tuner available?

Anyway, that's it I'll await the usual sound advice from more knowledgable BC'ers than me, thanks.

Gary

Placement can be quite tricky as headstocks built to accommodate smaller tuners tend to be smaller as well. Centre the holes too near the top (ie where they are now) and your larger machine-head base plates will stick out over the top, bring them down too far and you add a horizontal kink in the strings as they have to now negotiate a wider capstan. The best thing to do is strip your new tuners so they will sit on the front of the headstock and then mock up the positions with threads (as strings) coming from the bridge, over the nut, under your string retainer (if necessary) and finally around the capstans. Hold it all down with blu-tac or whatever then remove the capstans and mark in pencil the areas you want to remove.

I've done it twice - it looks better and feels sturdier:

Squier Affinity P

Squier Bronco

The E tuner on the Bronco was a bit tricky and has resulted in a bit of an angle between the nut and the tuner, but I couldn't have gone much higher with it. Lots of room on the P.

Edited by neepheid

I was starting to think that maybe I wouldn't bother, but seeing your P bass Neepheid has made me all determined again. You're right it does look better, the little ones to me just look and feel all wrong.

So what method did you use to enlarge the holes and get everything lined up?

[quote name='gary mac' post='1169635' date='Mar 20 2011, 04:17 PM']I was starting to think that maybe I wouldn't bother, but seeing your P bass Neepheid has made me all determined again. You're right it does look better, the little ones to me just look and feel all wrong.

So what method did you use to enlarge the holes and get everything lined up?[/quote]

I used a drill press with the appropriately sized drill bit.