Why become a member? ×

Reason 5

Rumple

Many years ago I use to have Stenibergs Pro 24 running on an Atari hooked up to a ESI-32 (now in the loft) and it was great fun doing electronic sample and looped based tunes but over the years I have messed about with Cubase and Audacity etc and although they are great for recording a band I was wondering if something like Reason might work more like the old school way of doing things.

Is it worth the £££'s or is there a cheaper alternative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

R.

i used to use reason 1.0 , 2.0 , 2.5 ,3.0
i got sick of it and stick to vsts now personally...

and the cheaper alternative would be to check out some freeware (kvr website is a great place to start looking)
its pretty incredible how great some free vsts sound and theres ALL kinds out there!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for replying Tuco

Out of interest what did you get sick of?

I have tried Reaper which is only about 30 dollars and you can try it for free plus it runs VST's which Reason doesn't.

It's more to do with how I used to work with my limited equipment, maybe I just need a simple midi sequencer and a decent VST sampler.
The reason for Reason (sorry :) ) is I thought it might be more intuative when working with loops and samples.

R.

[quote name='Rumple' post='1167986' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:51 AM']The reason for Reason (sorry :) ) is I thought it might be more intuative when working with loops and samples.

R.[/quote]

All good DAW'S should be good for using loops and Samples and Midi.

But Ableton Live really shines when using samples and loops.
Comes with a huge library of sounds, loops and instruments.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1167995' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:59 AM']All good DAW'S should be good for using loops and Samples and Midi.

But Ableton Live really shines when using samples and loops.
Comes with a huge library of sounds, loops and instruments.

Garry[/quote]
ableton live suite 8 here :)

[quote name='Rumple' post='1167986' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:51 AM']Thanks for replying Tuco

Out of interest what did you get sick of?

R.[/quote]
i prefer using vsts,i found myself doing too much tweaking in reason to get things to sound the way i wanted.. dont get me wrong reason is great when you rewire but a "be all and end all" it aint (just my personal opinion)

I personally use Reason and absolutely love it - I prefer it to Ableton and even Logic, but that's just me!

People always have their own preferences ins response to this question, as you'd expect, and normally recommend whatever DAW they themselves use. My advice would be to download the various demos and check them out for yourself, 'cos what suits one person's needs might not suit yours so well.

As a cheaper alternative to Reason, etc, I'd recommend Reaper:http://www.reaper.fm/

You can use it for free for as long as you like; the 'commercial' version costs around £60-£80 if you want to support to the developers, but the demo contains exactly the same functionality (very generous of the devs in my opinion...).

Anyway, have fun with whatever you choose!

PS: here's another thread on Basschat about Reason, if yer interested... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121281&st=0&gopid=1170686&"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...id=1170686&[/url]

Cheers I have been following the other Reason thread.

I've tried Reaper and it's very good especially as an alternative to more expensive linear DAW's, the non commercial version is only about $30 a real bargain. Shame someone doesn't make a non linear cheaper alternative to Ableton or Reason.

Good idea about trying all the demo versions first :)

[quote name='Rumple' post='1171768' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:16 AM']Good idea about trying all the demo versions first :)[/quote]

No probs.

It's a bit of a faff having to download and try them all out - especially as most of them have the 'save' function disabled, which is obviously frustrating too - but it's definitely worth the effort of trying them out before you decide on which one to splash some ca$h on.

You might also want to consider which DAWs your friends are using (if at all), as that can be of great benefit in terms of sharing hints/tips and music files.

Also, think about whether you want something for home use, or something that's good for live performance. If it's the latter then be sure to check out Ableton Live - studio-wise, it's not especially different to most other DAWs, but it really comes into its own for live performances.

Anyway, I'll shut up now! :) Good luck with it.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1171966' date='Mar 22 2011, 12:21 PM']You might also want to consider which DAWs your friends are using (if at all), as that can be of great benefit in terms of sharing hints/tips and music files.[/quote]
have to agree there :)

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

I have Cubase for any muti-track live recording of the band etc. and sharing with other band members and it's great for that sort of thing.

MAybe I should just dig the Atari and Emu out of the loft for any electronic stuff :) maybe not!

R.