Why become a member? ×

VIGIER Arpege bass (early model) £ SOLD !!!

eubassix

This is an early Vigier Arpege which, when first purchased, required some attention. The main (aesthetic) issues were: (1)There was a patch of paint missing between the pickups. It apparently came off when a Perspex block that had been added by a previous owner was removed. This patch had been painted in but it was very obvious. I have removed all paint (new & original) from this area between the pickups and have taken the bass back to its natural woods. This has been oiled & waxed. (2) A scratchplate was added to cover this up. This was subsequently removed and the screw holes were unsightly. These have been filled (but are still evident, as can be seen in the photos) Other than that, the body has signs of normal wear and tear which are not quite so obvious. (3) a previous owner attempted to replace the electronics with a more traditional/minimal set-up. This sadly did not work: only one pickup was working and the volume, tone (etc.) very limited.
With great help (parts and technical) from both Ped and Patrice Vigier (.. thanks guys...), I have replaced the electrics with a modern Vigier Arpege pre-amp plus fitted the correct (matching) knobs. The actual pickups are fine - high quality Vigier single coils. The EQ system is now the correct 6+6 tone settings (using the 2-way switch) as befitting a Vigier Arpege.The machine heads are brand new Schaller’s. The Bridge is also Schaller, fitted as a replacement for the original Vigier (onto the Vigier bridge baseplate). This works well and the action is low/true. The frets are quite low and appear to have had a couple of dressings in their life. The bass is very 'playable' (effortless) due to the low action. The age is indicated by the fact that it has a phenolic fingerboard with a gold (coloured) metal plate running beneath it for the whole length of the neck. The overall condition slightly reflects the age of the bass, although it now in a much better condition than when I bought it.This now constitutes a decent Vigier Arpege bass: still quite a few 'issues' when compared to a new model .. although the price reflects this. The (added) scratchplate (which I have reshaped/refined slightly) covers the hole that some idiot cut into the top of the bass. I have also ensured that all scratchplate holes have screws fitted, so that it is now stable/solid. The bridge is not Vigier, but works well. The 'natural' section between the pickups is much better than the previous, untidy mess .. but is not 'perfect': it just seemed the easiest way to tidy the instrument. The bass does now have two active Vigier pickups AND the correct EQ etc. It plays really nicely and sounds right. The nut may require replacement in the future (but the zero-fret makes this issue less crucial). It's a players bass (rather than a Vigier Collector's bass). Came to me without a case. Could possibly find a reasonable gig-bag or case at cost price (if required).

I've included a couple of photos to show the bass prior to the substantial refurb'

£ - SOLD !!! (inclusive of UK delivery)

Edited by eubassix

Thanks Cai ... I'm trying (hoping) to make a visit to The Messe (finally!.. ) this year and to have enough funds to both go.. and to actually buy something.

The Vigier is a bit 'rough' cf. a nice, new one .. but it now plays really well, has the Vigier sound & feel .. and a 'realistic' price-tag

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='133614' date='Feb 4 2008, 02:57 PM']:) the E string looks high off the fretboard, all of them for that matter, ....my hands would be in serious pain if I played that :huh: Nice bass!![/quote]

That's just a very deceptive photo: the action is probably the lowest of all my basses (2-3.5mm throughout) .. as I mentioned in the description.