Why become a member? ×

Switching pickups

skej21

I need pointing in the right direction please!

I've spent the last two nights looking through different parts of "repairs and technical issues" looking for information about removing pickups from one bass and putting them into another bass, but can't find it.

Also, some advice about what to look out for (or not to do it at all?!) would be nice, having never done this thanks to an enormous reliance on a friend who was very good with electronic stuff (who I've now moved away from!).

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to tell exactly what you want info on here but from what you've said so far, it not a good idea to mix different brands of pickup in the same bass (it's down to their resistance not being equal and one overpowering the other). Generally they follow standard dimensions so swapping out is a relatively easy process - the occasional bit of pickguard might need trimming.

when I first began mucking about with pickups etc I firstly began by taking some pictures of the wiring in situ. that way, if I made a balls up, I could bring them up on screen on the computer and see exactly what they looked like when they worked.

Of course, you could just view the relevant diagram on somewhere like the Seymour duncan website but I didn't stumble across that until much later.

one thing to remember, if they're normal passive pickups, remember to connect the ground wire from the bridge

one other important thing to note is make sure the pickups will fit into the bass you're transferring to precision pickups are much of a muchness but some Jazzes use 2 neck pickups and other a narrower neck one.